Phase 2

Just started phase 2 training a few weeks ago but I hate being in the Army I have done from day 1 but wanted to stick at it but I just can't any more is there any way to leave.

try any of the following (in no particular order)

talk to your training staff

talk to the padre

talk to the WRVS person

Talk to the CoC as stated above?
Would a different trade help, but what you going to do back in civvy street?
A lot of recruits do regret leaving and try to get back in and fail.
It is a big decision to make so talk to someone first and look at the options you have open to you!

Out of interest, what is it that you hate about being in the Army?

Many people hate the Army while going through training... then they leave, go back to civvy life and end up regretting leaving.

How old are you???? if you are under 18 you can DAOR, Discharge as of right, over 18 then its a bit harder but as said the majority of people who leave in Training then regret it, i used to work in a ACIO (many moons ago i may add) and 6/10 people would try and re join, most of the time there is a year or two period to wait depending on what the training staff write about you, we are sent a report detailing all the stuff about you if you leave.
talk to the training team and ask for advice before you make any rash decisions.

Good luck.

It is so much better when you get to your unit. Are you a technical trade? If so stick at it. If still what to leave and have Duty of Care NCOs, talk to them

Stick with it old mate, training is the hardest part of the whole military experience, it lasts but a fleeting second in relation to your many years in front of you. Do it and pass out with pride, go on to your trade training, then the fun starts, then you can fulfil your true potential, and as you progress it gets simpler and more enjoyable, yes, you will have shit days, everyone does, from road sweepers to brain surgeons.

Do not leave, beacause you will look back at what might have been, and regret it. Stick with it old mate, my generation had it a lot harder than yours, and we managed, an are still her to tell the tale, and bore the arse of our grandchildren, but we done it, and survived. It is hard at first, but little by little you will adapt, you will understand the whys and wherefores, not immediately, but it will click into place, and you will be able to hold your head up with pride, and declare, I served my country, there is no greater calling.

You will make friends for life, true friends, they will watch your back and you theirs, you will do things that you only see in exotic travel documentaries, you will experience the heady pleasures of foriegn shores, strange food, get shit faced with the best bunch of muckers on gods earth, training is the start of the journey, DO NOT waste the opertunity, it is but a micro second of your journey into a world that others cannot even begin to comprehend. Stag on. good luck.

Last edited:
I'm in my trade training now going in as a driver I just don't like being away from home barley get to see my daughter or my girlfriend I don't like the army as a whole it just depresses me it sound daft because I'm a 23 Yr old bloke I just can't hack it being away from home at all I was an electrician before joining I had a good job and everything I would talk to someone but everyone is saying there's no way to leave now so I feel trapped

I'm in my trade training now going in as a driver I just don't like being away from home barley get to see my daughter or my girlfriend I don't like the army as a whole it just depresses me it sound daft because I'm a 23 Yr old bloke I just can't hack it being away from home at all I was an electrician before joining I had a good job and everything I would talk to someone but everyone is saying there's no way to leave now so I feel trapped
You may want to change your user name, if that is your last four. Are there any postings near your home?

From one fellow sparky to another, read, absorb, and inwardly digest my last post. Once your training is over, you will be posted to your first working unit, there you can apply for married quarters, I was married in the mob, and had to wait for married quarters, my family were in the UK.

Its hard, I know, and even with your family with you, camp duties, and exercises will keep you away for weeks at a time, coming home is glorious, and you will appreciate your family all that more. I will put it more bluntly, You're in the best and longest established army in the world, it can trace its history back 400 years, MAN UP, beacause if you cannot accept the fact that you are wearing the queens uniform, with all that it stands for, you are on to a good hiding to nothing, I survived to tell the tale, and joined up at 21, long before the J.I.B. ever existed, and was the only one of my ethnic type in all the regiments I served with, FFS if I could handle it, you can. Your in the army now, deal with it. End.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Army Reserve 1
T The Training Wing 7
W The Training Wing 17