Phase 2 Maths

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by parabol, Jun 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I passed ADSC today, and I found the TST pretty tough. I needed a score of 35/55 to pass for Communication Systems Engineer, and got a score of 38/55.

When speaking to the Officer on my interview he mentioned that there will be a fair bit of Maths involved when it comes to phase 2 training.

My question is what kind of maths will I be dealing with? I wouldn't mind looking into it all a bit now just to give myself a bit of an insight really. How advanced will it be? I've not really experienced anything above GCSE up to now.

Thanks

2. The American kind, presumably.

I think we still say "maths" in this country.

All the best,

John.

3. Maths you septic TV bred tard.

4. I knew it was dangerous posting in here, haha. I should of searched my post for any potential errors, flaws, pick-up points before venturing in here really.

(S's implemented)

5. lol at you! just do it and dont worry, enjoy a LOOOOONNNGGGG time at Blandford!

6. R Sigs Technician. It would be good to have GCSE 'O' Grade Maths with a good pass grade (A,B or C). There is a lot of maths involved in Electrical Theory, and Radio Theory if going into repairing that sort of equipment. I cannot speak for what happens today, but back in the 1960s etc, it was handy to have an equivalent to the old GCE 'O'Level Maths, or the old Army Cert. of Education First Class in Maths, which was equivalent to a GCE 'O'level in Maths Grade 'C'.

7. Presumably they teach you all the maths you need to know though? It would still be nice to have a bit of a good understanding before mind you.

8. As long as you have a Grade C or equivalent in GSSE Maths you should be okay. A willingness to learn is more important in my opinion.

9. Let tea kitty be X
    A. = Number of DS on course
    B. = number of cups of tea each teabreak
    C. = Number of teabreaks per day x B
    D. = Number of days of course x C.

Total number of teabreaks = E.

F. = Number of teabags in a packet

G. = Number of cups of tea which can be made from a carton of milk
    H. = Number of cups of tea which can be made using a bag of sugar
    I. = cost of teabags
    J. = cost of milk
    K. = cost of sugar

X = F/E x I +J/G + H/K

10. X = 42?

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

You're kidding right? Are you saying you're thick as pigsh1t, but expect the Army to teach you the basics to get on? If you don't know the maths then you aint getting the job. If you don't know what you're talking about to begin with then you can expect the RLC at best. School was not just for smoking behind the gym you know, you were expected to learn stuff!!! :roll:

12. Maths is gonna be the least of your worries at Blandford lol

13. So what else is :?

14. No, you've took what I've said completely out of context. I have a good understanding of GCSE maths and I got a decent grade, but thats all I've touched. Anything higher than what is in the GCSE curriculum is unfamiliar to me. I'm just curious as to what kind of higher maths I can expect so I can teach myself a little bit so I'm not a complete stranger to it.

I just figured the extra preparation wouldn't hurt.

15. Communication system engineer? is that the old fashioned RR Op and Sys Op rolled into one?

35 out of 55 is a pretty easily achievable target, the only numbers you need to know are frequency's and the date of your RSIT
    I may be wrong but the days of working out the length of a half wave dipole are long gone.

Good luck to you though and enjoy Blandford, my lad's just started there as well