Phase 2 Dog Handler

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by RavenJae, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im really curious to know what happens during the Dog Handler phase 2 training? Im currently in the process of applying (only did my BARB tests last week and got 64). There's loads of info on the basic training you do at Pirbright but phase 2 seems to be a bit mysterious, I only know where it happens but not WHAT happens and ive read a few threads that say different things, and that certain aspects of the training has been stopped blah blah etc etc.

Im used to working with dogs, I volunteer in my spare time at some boarding kennels - which involves myself (a 5"6 112lb female) going into a kennel and trying to put a lead on a 10 stone ******* mastiff and taking it out for a "walk". The thought of working with military dogs worries me, but in an excited kind of way.

Just after some info from someone who's does this phase 2 training and what Im letting myself in for.

Cheers

2. Personally I think the training will consist of training you how to handle Military Dogs.

Hope this helps

• Old Old x 1
  3. hur hur

I was hoping for a more specific answer..

• Like Like x 2
  4. Day 1 - how to stroke your dog
    Day 2 - how to cuddle your dog
    Day 3 - how to groom your dog
    Day 4 - Smooth peanut butter, or crunchy peanut butter?
    Day 5 - Sock, or no socks (for the dog)
    Day 6 - advanced harness/leash bondage
    Day 7 - fellatio for the discerning dog owner

5. Aaah ok, thanks.

6. Dont listen to that idiot above, only a person who has served or is currenlty serving in the Royal Army Veterinary Corps can give true advise!
    Anyway Alot of the beginning stuff during phase two seems quite simple if your already a doggy person. Like grooming a dog, safety aspects, the importance of exercise, correct diet and so on. But what alot of other regiments dont realise is the hard work that goes into getting the perfect working dog! it takes patience, confidence and a skill that not everybody has naturally and that is how to read a dog. You have to be extremely fit to be a dog handler the phase two consists of alot of physical activity, some days you can be on your feet for over 12 hours. They usually have four PT sessions a week, consisting of a circuit, a "steady" state run, sports and finally a tab every friday. You will do obedience, agility (a favourite of mine), restraint techniques, correct handling, road walks, exercise (living out in the field learning how to maintain your dog in the field) and the best bit Bitework! getting dragged to the floor wearing a padded suit by a 40kg German or Belgian shepherd really is a unique feeling! you will also learn how to cope with a severely injured dog and how to perform cpr! There is also alot of theory and exams! i could go on all day about the job because i personally love it! but i think its better to go on the journey yourself and take every aspect of training as it comes, good luck with your career, and i hope to see you in the corps one day :D

• Like Like x 2
  7. .....and once you have carried out all of the advice from LadyJaffa you will be free to act out scenes from Animal Farm with your canine chums.

8. Towards the end of your training you will learn how to get the dog to jump on your back.

This is apparently essential, for every dog display team I have ever seen in my life involves the dog jumping through hoops, up and over wooden see-saws - then at the end the dog lies down....obviously tired. This is where you get the dog to jump on your back, and you carry him off the field.

This has to happen at every display. No exception, so you can get a round of applause from the pads-wives and their tribes of brats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.