phase 2/combat engineer

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by arty90, Jul 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. iv read lots of pasts about basic but still know hardly nothing about the combat engineer training ;

is there any tips and advice i should know ?

will it be as strict as phase 1 ?
  2. hope your good at your best book mate
  3. Read nightrained's posts since the day he joined ARRSE. You may even learn some lessons along the way. Who knows, maybe nightrained will drop by and answer everything you wanted to know.
  4. best book?

c'mon then nightrained tell me what its all about
  5. A best book is a record of everything you have been taught... which you write up each day

After 20 something years, I still have mine .... somewhere
  6. do you still remember everything you have been taught?

and whats "piano"?
  7. Best books and crib cards should be a thing of the past. Outdated as soon as you finish. I still have mine from the summer of 89, but it's more of a museum piece. Did crib cards on my B1, and again a waste of time. Some of my blokes received a disk for their Inf Pnr Sgts cse the other month. And that wasn't up to date. Pams were without ammdts, kit that is obsolete. And this is from the School of Excelence
  8. Just had a small shudder to myself then. Off to binge drink to drive that memory to the back of my mind.
  9. piano! almost as pleasant as' BRIDGES!!!!' :D
  10. you all just too helpful!

why wont nobody tell me?

my uncle was in the engineers and he wont tell me neither
  11. google is your friend arty90
  12. I hear since Holdfast has taken over, they get 10 O' clock starts a monday...
  13. But arty90 ... nobody is telling you... can't you see that?

14. I will be a bit more forthcoming.

Your Class 3 Combat Engineer course lasts around 10 weeks although this may have changed. The syllabus is along the lines of the following and may not be in this order any more:

Basic Field Engineering: knots & lashings, hand tools, power tools, crane and fork lift signals.

Basic Construction Techniques: introduction to concreting, introduction to basic brick/block laying, introduction to basic carpentry.

Project: a 3 day task which could be anywhere in the UK practacing what you've been taught. You may do stuff like building playgrounds or improving military training areas.

Signals: introduction to basic signals and voice procedure.

Demolition: you learn the joys of PE4, normal and electrical circuits, how to blow up different things such as bridges and trees and different methods of initiation.

Field Fortifications: different types of trenches, their uses and barbed wire fences.

Water Supply: how to set up and operate a water point i.e different pumps and sterilization methods.

Watermanship: operating paddle and outboard powered craft.

Non equipment bridging: how to build bridges out of timber and steel.

Equipment bridges: how to build different types of military bridging.

Mine warfare: you learn about different types of anti tank mine, how to lay, arm and disarm mines, mine field clearance and booby traps.

Plant, roads and airfields: how to lay and recover trackway, construct different types of drainage and different types of culvert.

All of this is confirmed in a week long exercise which is pretty cheeky to put it mildly.

At the end of each day you write up what you have learned in a Best Book. This is your revision aid for exams and when you come to do your Class 2 Combat Engineer tick test and Class One Combat Engineer course. You do crib cards on your B1, I have used mine and have found them pretty useful.

There is a path shaped like a grand piano at the rear of 57 Sqn troop offices. If you c0ck up and hear the cry "piano" you run around the said path very quickly!

Hope this is helpful.
  15. I must admit after nearly 20 yrs in the Corps I didn't know what the "Piano" was. Now I'm enlightened. We used to dread the words "Get in the quad" Pure hell. No one could see or hear you apart from your own troop/sqn. No outside do gooders.