Phase 1 Training Altbergs

Lads any tips on keeping on top of/eliminating white salt marks caused by sweating over long periods wearing the boots, currently washing off with water and re polishing every night, is there any better method to stop this happening?

Lads any tips on keeping on top of/eliminating white salt marks caused by sweating over long periods wearing the boots, currently washing off with water and re polishing every night, is there any better method to stop this happening?
Stop sweating.
1 tongue.gif

Seriously though, make sure your feet get a good wash morning & night, use foot powder & clean socks.
Don't use water to remove the salt & don't use polish unless bull demands it - wipe off the surface salt with kitchen towel, then use Leder Gris (there's a gloss version for tarts...) to treat the uppers. It's Altberg's recommended treatment for their boots & what I use on mine (12 year old Peacekeepers & still going strong).
It's available in black, brown & neutral, depending on whether you're an OR, ossifer or one o' they new snowflake recruits who ain't sure what they are...

Get another pair of boot's. Seriously, make a career of this and attend the next level military course you will acquire at least one more pair of boots, possibly two - a spare pair of best boots is always handy for when Cpl throws the first pair out of the window. Then you'll also want an extra set of combats, putting on damp combats is no fun.

Fill them up with Neatsfoot Oil and leave overnight. I was told this one by a Royal Welch Platoon Sgt.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Check your socks.

If the socks are too thin, your sweat and thus the salt is getting straight into the leather, rather than being absorbed in part by the socks.

Also, you may have residual salt deposits trapped in the boot now. Put them in a hot room and the rest of the moisture and salt in the boots will eventually evaporate through the leather where you can then scrub it off and run some vinegar over it to counter the salt.

If you don't tackle the trapped deposits, you just keep adding to it.

Stop sweating. View attachment 379251

Seriously though, make sure your feet get a good wash morning & night, use foot powder & clean socks.
Don't use water to remove the salt & don't use polish unless bull demands it - wipe off the surface salt with kitchen towel, then use Leder Gris (there's a gloss version for tarts...) to treat the uppers. It's Altberg's recommended treatment for their boots & what I use on mine (12 year old Peacekeepers & still going strong).
It's available in black, brown & neutral, depending on whether you're an OR, ossifer or one o' they new snowflake recruits who ain't sure what they are...
Apologies to the OP for diving in with a question. I’ve recently got a pair of Mallerstangs. What a fabulous pair of boots, comfortable from day 1 and excellent on any terrain. Could you advise how often should I give them the Leider Gris treatment? I’m slightly concerned about overloading. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Wear the issue kit. Clean it as per what your DS want. If it farks up the altbergs, go to the nice stores person and get another pair ( for free).

Fill them up with Neatsfoot Oil and leave overnight. I was told this one by a Royal Welch Platoon Sgt.
Aaargh no!!!
Neatsfoot oil certainly softens leather but it also removes its elasticity, so you'll end up wearing what feels like heavy, ill-fitting bags on your feet.
I ruined a couple of pairs of boots & a pistol belt before I saw sense.

Aaargh no!!!
Neatsfoot oil certainly softens leather but it also removes its elasticity, so you'll end up wearing what feels like heavy, ill-fitting bags on your feet.
I ruined a couple of pairs of boots & a pistol belt before I saw sense.
Worked for me for years

Apologies to the OP for diving in with a question. I’ve recently got a pair of Mallerstangs. What a fabulous pair of boots, comfortable from day 1 and excellent on any terrain. Could you advise how often should I give them the Leider Gris treatment? I’m slightly concerned about overloading. Any advice greatly appreciated.
That's one of those "it depends" things.
If I've been out all day without getting the boots wet & they were done after the last wearing then I'll leave them be, or give a quick buff with the piece of cloth & keep inside the Leder Gris tin.
If it's been a shitty day, with the boots getting covered in damp crap & possibly swamped, I'll leave them on the stand upside down to dry naturally for a day or two, then give a thorough rub over with plenty of Leder Gris, then remove the excess after an hour by scrubbing with the same applicator cloth.

Worked for me for years
How long did your boots last?
Personal experience & talking to others says it softens the leather to such a degree that support is lost & abrasion resistance is that of a soggy bog roll centre.

How long did your boots last?
Personal experience & talking to others says it softens the leather to such a degree that support is lost & abrasion resistance is that of a soggy bog roll centre.
at least 5 years mate

That's one of those "it depends" things.
If I've been out all day without getting the boots wet & they were done after the last wearing then I'll leave them be, or give a quick buff with the piece of cloth & keep inside the Leder Gris tin.
If it's been a shitty day, with the boots getting covered in damp crap & possibly swamped, I'll leave them on the stand upside down to dry naturally for a day or two, then give a thorough rub over with plenty of Leder Gris, then remove the excess after an hour by scrubbing with the same applicator cloth.
Many thanks @Oddbod, much appreciated

dry them out first properly, than remove as much salt as possible than use either a dubbing (be generous if your boots don't have gora-tex lining) or leder gris (same thing pretty much). I like to apply it warm.

Latest Threads