Phase 1 Alpha

Adam1

Crow
Morning all,

I have joined the AR as a professionally qualified soldier I have got alpha coming up in just over a week. Can anyone give me any tips on what Extra kit to bring? Expecting it to be mostly drill and PT... is this about right?

TIA

You should have joining instructions / a kit list.
Make sure you take what you're told to take.

Plus Haribo. Lots of Haribo.

What do you're Unit suggest you take, as they might know?

Morning all,

I have joined the AR as a professionally qualified soldier I have got alpha coming up in just over a week. Can anyone give me any tips on what Extra kit to bring? Expecting it to be mostly drill and PT... is this about right?

TIA
Protein powder. Lots of it.

Some decent insoles for boots, and tape, if you get blister problems while tabbing.

A good-quality flashlight and spare batteries.

At least two lighters.

Three **** socks

Unscented talc powder.

Longmore92

Swinger
Just to satisfy curiosity, if you're a "professionally qualified soldier" why are you doing Alpha?

It means a professional, such as a lawyer or doctor, joining the army.
The phrase has a specific meaning, indicating they join in order to use their professional qualifications.

Longmore92

Swinger
Every day's a school day. Curiosity satisfied.

What do you're Unit suggest you take, as they might know?
Really? In my experience the unit are the last people to properly equip a soldier for a phase 1 /2 / 3 course.
BB has it. follow the kit list and camp out at the CQ's counter until he /she gives you everything on it.

You’ve dealt with NRHQ RA too.
Not had the pleasure to be fair, although having R and HQ in a row, I would recognise a combat indicator of aforementioned G4 bufoonery.

I fondly remember a conversation with an LE Guards Captain at Army School of Ceremonial where a number of us from different capbadges attempted to explain why he could not count on reserve students turning up with all the prescribed kit for a course. I thought the poor man was going to have a stroke.

Not had the pleasure to be fair, although having R and HQ in a row, I would recognise a combat indicator of aforementioned G4 bufoonery.

I fondly remember a conversation with an LE Guards Captain at Army School of Ceremonial where a number of us from different capbadges attempted to explain why he could not count on reserve students turning up with all the prescribed kit for a course. I thought the poor man was going to have a stroke.
I was ready to start my Ph1 A in January 2016. Had to withdraw because I didn’t have ANY kit. Booked onto March course. Told kit was ready at Woolwich mid Feb.....nope, just a shirt, trousers and boots. The rest still hadn’t arrived by March so withdrawn again. Situation explained to staff at Pirbright, who had a go at Woolwich, who had a go at me for causing trouble. I politely pointed out that was not an 18 yr old recruit, but was actually a grumpy 51yr old who is used to things being done properly. Kit finally ready(ish) late May so I started my course in late June. I completed my Ph1 A, B and Ph2 within five months, which could’ve been done six months earlier. I missed out on exercises in Germany and Czech just because of an ignorant/incompetent RQMS who couldn’t/wouldn’t do his job.

Latest Threads