Phantoms from the past.

No, it wasn't. It was the then Sqn Ldr, later ACM, William Wratten (God rest him, because I hope he is dead, the c**t) on a post-major servicing airframe recovery / transit back to Wattisham.

Doing a beat up of the airfield at St Athan was commonplace as a "TY" for the groundcrew back in the day.
Doing a beat up of "anywhere" was all the rage for "anyone" until the mid 80s if you could get away with it. FO FG, later F3 display pilot, had an interview without coffee after the Lord Lieutenant of Fife sent a letter to OC thanking him for the impromptu fly past at his village.

Quite a few pilots have had "The Interview". I recall the one when one of the Red's groundcrew decided to exit via the Martin-Baker method when the aircraft had a wire-strike during a transit flight between Machrihanish and Kinloss. I was tasked to raise the write-off paperwork for the damage - it was £'s many and got the Treasury involved.

IIRC, the pilot had "the interview" with the C-in-C, stayed with the team for the rest of the season because he was one of the solo synchro pair and was then sent back to a training unit to learn to fly again. The guy who ejected was the only member of the Sgt's Mess with the MB tie. I spoke to him a couple of days after the event when he came into our squadron - when I asked the question about how he thought at the time, he said it was a case of "F*** it, I'm getting out".

Hawk XX227 if any spotters are interested.

Edited because @Cromarty spotted my mongness

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
632AF27A-5F91-40EE-8951-F4BAD96CF485-306x132.jpeg.jpg

Been a common occurrence for a wee while

syrup

LE
33628eaf8beafe6c732c11004bee37e8.jpg

RAF have been doing it for a while

The gun cameras from the Harriers that attacked Goose Green showed that they were flying between 5 and 15 feet as they ran in to attack.
On his return to Goose Green Dave Morgan pointed out a telephone wire 30 feet off the ground and said he couldn't remember it being there
One of the islanders who saw the raid pointed out they flew under it.

Not forgetting the two Phantom's that had to go vertical on full reheat to avoid crashing into to the Collage during a passing out parade.
A couple of the lads who saw it said it was a most impressive but of flying although not the words the reviewing officer used

Cromarty

War Hero
Quite a few pilots have had "The Interview". I recall the one when one of the Red's groundcrew decided to exit via the Martin-Baker method when the aircraft had a wire-strike during a transit flight between Machrihanish and Kinloss. I was tasked to raise the write-off paperwork for the damage - it was £'s many and got the Treasury involved.

IIRC, the pilot had "the interview" with the C-in-C, stayed with the team for the rest of the season because he was one of the solo pair and was then sent back to a training unit to learn to fly again. The guy who ejected was the only member of the Sgt's Mess with the MB tie. I spoke to him a couple of days after the event when he came into our squadron - when I asked the question about how he thought at the time, he said it was a case of "F*** it, I'm getting out".

Hawk XX227 if any spotters are interested.

You can't have a solo pair, it's the synchro pair.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I plead guilty yer honour. I claim a brain fart, I couldn't remember the correct term when I posted. I shall go and write it out 100 times.
it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it

Saved you the bother. Thank &DEITY for copy & paste.

33628eaf8beafe6c732c11004bee37e8.jpg

RAF have been doing it for a while

The gun cameras from the Harriers that attacked Goose Green showed that they were flying between 5 and 15 feet as they ran in to attack.
On his return to Goose Green Dave Morgan pointed out a telephone wire 30 feet off the ground and said he couldn't remember it being there
One of the islanders who saw the raid pointed out they flew under it.

Not forgetting the two Phantom's that had to go vertical on full reheat to avoid crashing into to the Collage during a passing out parade.
A couple of the lads who saw it said it was a most impressive but of flying although not the words the reviewing officer used
There is of course the tale of the GR1 pilot that on landing told the lineys he had a bird strike, iirc he passsedout when a liney gave him some tree and said the bird must have been on the nest then

syrup

LE
There is of course the tale of the GR1 pilot that on landing told the lineys he had a bird strike, iirc he passsedout when a liney gave him some tree and said the bird must have been on the nest then

IIRC during build up training for Granby a Tornado GR1 clipped a telegraph pole with it's wing edge.
When they went and measured it it was reported to be 30 feet of the ground claimed by those measuring it to be "generous"
Some claimed it was closer to 20 feet
I suppose those old Bucc Pilots had to find a seat somewhere

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Reminded of my RAC Control Signaller AFV Class 1 upgrade course, 1978 (last one using Larkspur).

There was an FAC set on UHF band, channels actually selected by crystal as I recall (it's 43 years ago). In our regimental signal store (run by me) we had one. Black art.

Instructor gives lesson, shows how to set it to Beacon to give the FAC's fast jet a waypoint. Then he stops and describes a recent Radio Instructor course here at Bovy RAC Centre Radio Wing.

The would-be instructor gave the same lesson, and at this point moved on to his next point.

Five minutes later a Phantom flew overhead at zero feet. "Instructor" announces that this is how the beacon worked.

Turns out he had a friend on Phantom at Yeovilton, who was in on the whole thing and getting hours in.

It would have been impressive, had not "This is how the Beacon setting works" been followed by an almighty crash as the downdraft brought down the antenna farm on the Radio Wing roof that allowed Bovy to talk to RAC units around the world if they so chose.

Last edited:

syrup

LE

Or you think you've had a bird strike when you've actually clipped a helicopter

A HELICOPTER pilot and his passenger were killed yesterday in a mid-air collision with an RAF Tornado that was on a long-range, low-flying exercise in Cumbria.
The crash happened a few hundred yards from junction 36 of the M6 at Farleton near Kirkby Londsdale. The helicopter is thought to have had its rear rotary blade ripped off before bursting into flames on farmland.

The crew of the Tornado were apparently unaware they had hit the helicopter. They lost all power in one engine and reported they had been hit by a flock of birds.

IIRC during build up training for Granby a Tornado GR1 clipped a telegraph pole with it's wing edge.
When they went and measured it it was reported to be 30 feet of the ground claimed by those measuring it to be "generous"
Some claimed it was closer to 20 feet
I suppose those old Bucc Pilots had to find a seat somewhere
in the early 80s lived on the coast, chapel st leonards, its flat,i swear the jags had to climb to get overthe sea wall

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
This is the "open source" version of it. There is another complete version still kept under Lock and key. Note the hat recoveries at the end.

syrup

LE
This is the "open source" version of it. There is another complete version still kept under Lock and key. Note the hat recoveries at the end.

There was a version I saw about 1988 at Cranwell where one of the cameras at the other side simply wobbled and fell over with the jet blast

Or you think you've had a bird strike when you've actually clipped a helicopter

A HELICOPTER pilot and his passenger were killed yesterday in a mid-air collision with an RAF Tornado that was on a long-range, low-flying exercise in Cumbria.
The crash happened a few hundred yards from junction 36 of the M6 at Farleton near Kirkby Londsdale. The helicopter is thought to have had its rear rotary blade ripped off before bursting into flames on farmland.

The crew of the Tornado were apparently unaware they had hit the helicopter. They lost all power in one engine and reported they had been hit by a flock of birds.