Phalanx testing video (or phalasy as we knew it..)

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by MAD_FERRET, Oct 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. WOW!!!!

And your point is.......???
  2. I'm guessing it won't be too long before this has been used to kill a few more allied soldiers.

1. American
    2. Must have computers in there somewhere.
    3. A weapon

The 3 things don't mix
  3. I concur!
  4. So where's all the lead going to land when it comes BACK DOWN ?

Andy !
  5. Who cares where it lands?
    As long as it saves lives of the soldiers.
  6. I was recently told that the rounds self detruct. Anyone confirm?
  7. Why has got a huge Chef's hat on? Is it sponsored by the RLC catering department?
  8. I don't know about self destructing, the rounds are made from depleted uranium and have a discarding sabot, don't sound self destrcting to me.

Again, can anyone confirm this?
  9. Just dug this out of wikipedia....

The U.S. Army's version of the Navy's CIWS Phalanx anti-missile system is called the "Land-Based Phalanx Weapon System" (LPWS). It is a type of "C-RAM" (counter-rockets, artillery and mortars) defensive weapon.

Whereas naval Phalanx systems fire depleted uranium or (more recently) tungsten armor-piercing rounds, the LPWS uses the HEIT-SD (High-Explosive Incendiary Tracer, Self-Destruct) ammunition originally developed for the M163 Vulcan air-defense system. These rounds explode on impact with the target, or upon tracer burnout. With a reliability of between 95 and 99 percent the odds of live rounds falling on "friendlies" is minimal.
  10. Now theres a "Get out clause" if ever I heard one!!!
  11. The system was operated by uk soldiers, lm led too believe it was Royal Artillery but l could be wrong!

I was at the cob when it got installed around May this year, and after a few days trial went 'live'

It definately needed tweaking, reasons for which l wont go into on here for OPSEC, but when l left in late sept it was without doubt doing the business and getting many confirmed 'kills'

Definately a life saver in my eyes, and was gaining the trust albeit slowly

A familiar sight and sound, often firing before the CRAM had alarmed so was a good warning too to get your ass in the grass (well, sand..)
  12. Don't want to be a bore but please stop discussing the technical detail of this system on this site. There are thousands of servicemen relying on it to save their lives on a daily basis. They don't need you lot to openly discuss its capabilities or specification.

Where's a mod when you need one?
  13. aint being a bore - its common knowledge, freely available on the net...

Only posted the vid from you tube for those deploying and wondering what it is..

14. Can we not make it more freely available then?

They'll soon find out! :D