PFTs

Discussion in 'RAC' started by queenshussar, Apr 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I WAS HAVING A DRINK AT A MESS DINE OUT THIS WEEK AND THE SUBJECT OF FITNESS TEST'S CAME UP.
    CFT ,WE ALL AGREED IS A VALID TEST AND PRETTY REALISTIC.
    ICFT , AGAIN WE ALL AGREED THAT IT'S A GOOD TEST AND REALISTIC.EVEN THOUGH ITS A HARD ONE.
    PFT'S, NOW THIS IS WHERE THE TOPIC GOT INTERESTING. WHEN IN WAR ARE WE GOING TO PUT SHORTS ON A RUN 1.5 MILES?
    OK ,ITS A GOOD ALL ROUND INDICATION OF FITNESS BUT NOT AT ALL REALISTIC.
    ANY APTCI TYPES CARE TO COMMENT?

2. Well I guess its just a basic level of fitness required. I have noticed its only the lads that fail a PFT that whinge about it. Yep I struggle and I need to pass a PFT to get up graded from a rugby injury.However I realise that it needs to be done,so I am sure within a few weeks when I am finally upgraded I will be slagging off the whingers that cannot pass a PFT. Get a grip ,its the army , you have to be fit, the pft is not hard.Leave the pies alone .

3. It's only a basic test yet it it seems to trip up a surprising large number of officers where I currently work. Also, do you know of anyone who can pass a CFT and not a BFT? I didn't think so. So, it's a basic test not a standard that we should aspire to. There is a difference.

The RMs take the PFT a step further with the APFT with a max score of 400 (60 press-ups, 85 sit-ups, 21 pull-ups and 13.8 on a bleep test). This has proven to be a useful way of determining who is working at their fitness and who is loafing, and it is a good way to test anaerobic phys. I'm sure the Army has something similar but the APFT is a good progession from the basic PFT.

4. I take it that the BFT is no more? or has it simply been re named?

5. Correct! It now consists of press-ups, sit-ups and a 1.5 mile run. There is a minimum standard that has got be achieved depending on your age!

6. To be quite honest, I find the CFT fairly easy but struggle at BFT.

7. I agree. Many moons ago when I was a fat fatherless I could p1ss my CFT but failed my PFT miserably.

8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

ISTR the CFT came in because the Falklands War showed that the BFT proved no indicator of the fitness necessary to fight a war (in the Falklands admittedly) because racing snakes in PT vests being able to do 1.5 miles in 7 minutes bore no relation to yomping 60 miles in full kit.

I always struggled with my BFT, but I knew asthma ran in the family (a cousin died of it aged 12) and a decade after I left the Army, my GP admitted I suffered from asthma. I would run my BFT and struggle to come home in time, die ten yards beyond the finishing line, then ten minutes later, when I'd caught me breath I was fit again.

The only time I ever struggled with a CFT was three weeks after I'd had the Big V. I tried to get me RMO to sign me off from it, worrying a nad would pop out of me scrote, but after she'd fondled it for a couple of minutes she decided I was fit.

9. It always p issed me off that some people had 10 to 12 Herfys the night before the BFT and usually smoked like a trooper(pardon the pun)and usually did it around 8 to 9 mins
    Whereas i trained like buggery for weeks and still could only just pass it
    spending most of the time spewing up at the end of it.
    In fact i remember on bloke i know had a dump halfway round and still bloody beat me

10. Forgive my lack of current knowledge - what is a PFT??

As above BFTs were never my strong point but CFTs were fine... I only ever saw BFTs as an excuse for ponsey gym queens to show off how fast they were - woopy fuckin do ********!

11. Personal Fitness Test! :D

12. I struggled with BFT's but had no problems with the CFT. Remedial PT was only ever given to BFT failures, if you failed a CFT a paper pass was normally your punishment.
    A good mate of mine was constantly on remedial 'cause his cargantuan frame (rugby player) wasn't built for speed, but he could happily do the CFT, Normally during the last 4 miles he would also be carrying one of the "racing snakes" that could do speed but not distance.

Also more specific to his job, he had no problems track bashing, lifting back decks or radiators.
    BFT in my eyes was overrated, many fit but slow guys were singled out as unfit just because they couldnt run fast

13. And you've missed the point completly after all it was only a BASIC Fitness Test, a level that the powers that be set and constantly lowered over the years to cater for the incoming that didn't do an ounce of PT at school. Now we've gone all 'Pink, Cuddly & Fluffy'! :x

14. So why wasnt the COMBAT fitness test treated as seriously as the BASIC.

A soldier that could pass CFT but fail BFT was constantly on remedial to make him faster, Yet fail your CFT and nothing was done?

Who would you rather have alongside you when the crap hits the fans, Someone that could be 1.5 miles away in 10 mins or somebody that can pick you up and carry you out of the Sh!t? I agree that it is a basic test but i would rather that everyone aimed to pass the CFT rather than a BFT, it is a more realistic level of fitness required for the job

• Like Like x 1
  15. I'm sorry but if you failed a CFT in my Regt something was done about it ie remedials!