PFT times...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by civi-in-green, Jan 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Chaps (and to keep the PC BGD happy)and Sheila's,

08:59 for a (Male) PFT at the age of 34....How would you rate this?
    Reason I ask is...............

1. Wish to do faster.
    2. Does my age dictate a faster time is not likely
    3. Personal pride (unlike the kinder in the job today)

Cheers all.......Happy New February....................

2. Your run time 8.59, if this is for 2.4 km, after 2 mins of press ups, two mins of sit ups, a 800 m warm up in between 4 mins 50 secs and 5 mins, then it isn't too bad at all for a 34 year old.

What I currently do to improve on my PFT run time and run times in general is the following sprint training session once a week on a track or marked out route:

800m Warm up - walk - jog - flexibility (stretches) run (pulse raise).

1. 3 x 400 m laps - heart rate recover to 130 bmp - Total Distance covered 1200 m
    2. 3 x 400 m laps - heart rate recover to 130 bmp - Total Distance covered 1200 m
    3. 2 x 400 m laps - heart rate recover to 130 bmp - Total Distance covered 800 m
    4. 2 x 400 m laps - heart rate recover to 130 bmp - Total Distance covered 800 m
    5. 1 x 400 m laps - heart rate recover to 130 bmp - Total Distance covered 400 m
    6. 1 x 400 m laps - heart rate recover to 130 bmp - Total Distance covered 400 m
    7. 1 x 400 m laps - heart rate recover to 130 bmp - Total Distance covered 400 m
    8. 1 x 400 m laps - heart rate recover to 130 bmp - Total Distance covered 400 m
    9. 10 x 100 m sprints - sprint 100 m - walk back 100 m - sprint 100 m etc - Total Distance covered 2000 m

800 m Cool down - jog - walk - flexibility (stretches, lower limb - 30 seconds for each muscle group)

It's a great session which you have to work hard on. Every one of the 9 parts you've to work at max effort, do it at least 2 hours after any meal, otherwise you'll end up bringing it up again. Get a decent amount of water onboard after to avoid muscle soreness.

Over time your recovery time in between each of the 9 parts will be reduced, allowing you to run faster for longer durations, over the months if you stick to it, you'll see your PFT run time and run times in general reduced.

Have a go, would be great to hear how you get on.

3. My bold, is that walking or jogging recovery?

4. You'd think jog, walking it'l drop well below that pretty fast.

5. Got you, the recovery after each of the session is waiting for your heart rate to go back to 130 BMP. This recovery is stood still at the start point ready to go again.

I'm not a physio, but one thing I didn't mention is, if your using a 400 m track to do this session, alternate the direction of travel after each part to avoid over pressure on the leg, on the inside of the track, as this will be the main load bearing leg.

Example:

Part 1 Clockwise.
    Part 2 Anti Clockwise.
    Part 3 Clockwise.

I can see where the confusion has come from though. The distances written at the end of part was to show the total distance covered in that part. I'm going to amend it now. Cheers.

6. I would say that routine is too intense for anybody - if you really mean go flatout.

If you had said go at 90% effort then I would say it was a decent interval session.

A good guide is that if your form starts to degrade while performing the reps then you are going too fast - flatout pace should be used sparingly!

Just my tuppence worth.

7. I suppose your right actually if your running set distances, it was just i do something similar on the bike and keep going till i hit and maintain what is i suppose called my recovery heart rate, where my lactate removal is greater than or the same as the build up. Though working that out originally was a rather hit and miss science.

8. How did you work that out? I suppose i could google it, but i'm just lazy..

9. Cheers, that makes much more sense now! Seemed like a right ragging not achieving anyhting otherwise!!! :oops: