PFT, CFT, WBT and climactic injury.

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jul 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just spoken to a mate who has just completed the PTI course.

Mentioned the attention being paid to climactic injury - heat stress / heat stroke in other words.

Turns out that prior to CFT / PFT the temperature should be taken via wet bulb thermometer.

If this is not done and a climactic injury occurs, no umbrella available will be big enough for the person signing the EASP.

Whats the score?

2. Mmm sounds to me like another arrse covering umbrella by the MOD.

Thought the whole point of being in the military was about achievements, especially under ardious condition (train hard fight easy).

It seems to me everything is becoming so easy they'll soon be issuing kit at ACIO's and shipping you straight off to IRAQ and the likes.

Let's not train just incase someone sues!!!

Aren't we missing the point?

At current a lot of our deployments are to heat based climates, i'm not saying we should thrash the arse off our troops till they drop, but we should at least be able to under commanders discression, if he thinks his troops are up to it and have trained towards it, push the tempo a little instead of having to fear retribution from barrack room lawyers, who whilst sick with a runny nose read up on regulations to work out their next skive.

3. Tell that to the parents of the Sandhurst cadet who died recently on a CFT.

Its not nannying to try tp prevent heatstroke, hence WBT for temperature.

4. heat exhaustion and heat stroke are REALLY serious issues ... I succumbed to heat exhaustion in the hills a few years ago, despite hat and drinking plenty of water - i still have trouble in the heat and sun - it shuts my body down and actually makes me sick, even just being out in it and not necessarily exerting myself.

Bottom line - when you get it it can kill ... and you are susceptible for life

5. Well this was in the cadets so obviously that may be the reason why. But when i was in the cadets and was doing the cadet leadership course at frimley park last july, when it was hitting 30 degrees celsius, we were stopped from doing the log race on one of the days and stopped from doing the march and shoot.

Although disappointed that we couldn't do the events, it does makes sense heat stroke et al are serious issues.

6. Thats been happening for the last 7/8 years, its not new, units just need to use common sense, all units have had to show the WBT during summer periods since the mid 90's. Usually outside the guardroom or gym. They tend to pay less importance to it in UK due to the fact all you need is gortex during summer and not sun cream! In Germnay/Cyprus and of course the middle east units are well keen on using the WBT guide.
    This is not new news.

7. Its WBGT - Wet Bulb Globe Thermometer, and is used as a guide when completing the RA for any phys activity. TT39, you completly miss the point. Yes we train to fight, but not at all costs. If someone goes down with a heat illness, their chances of getting it again increase and so they may be downgraded and unfit for deployment to Iraq/Afghan. The main reason troops can opperate in such environments is down to aclimatisation. If you "push the tempo" as you say during a hot spell in the UK, the Commander is at risk of loosing more of his troops than benefiting the others.

Read JSP 539, it may help

8. I recently went down with Heat Stroke, and spent the night in hospital on IV fluids, linked to a range of monitors. Not a nice experience.
    Still waiting for the results of the investigation. (Dont know if WBT was taken or not)