PFA - 1.5 mile run

Hi Guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice with regards to dropping some time off my mile and a half run.

Quite a long history but basically I failed out of Sandhurst due to fitness (only just passing the fitness tests when I got there and suffered illness early on). I have been given the opportunity to go back, provided I pass the fitness tests again at PCCBC in 2 weeks time, except I have to hit the men's standard of 10mins30secs for the 1.5 mile run (instead of the female 12mins45secs).

The last PFA I did at Sandhurst (just over 4months ago) I failed at 13mins07secs. I have been training since then and managed to get down to 10mins50secs (3weeks ago) however this was on a treadmill. I didn't realise how much more difficult it would be to take it back onto the road and have only managed 11mins21secs.

So my question is whether there's anything I can do in the next couple of weeks to help? Whilst it may not be realistic to expect to get that 10mins30secs now I want to make sure I give everything I can and smash my last time.

Here's what training I've been doing over the last few months:

• 2 x gym sessions a week that start with 10 x interval sprints (5min warm up, then 10 lots of 30secs sprint, 30secs rest) followed by an upper-body/leg day
• 2 x PT sessions a week (ex navy PT that sets up strength/cardio routines)
• 2-3 medium distance runs a week (3-4 miles) PB 26mins for 5k
• 1 x long distance run a week (6-8 miles) PB 54mins for 10k
• 2 x boxing sessions a week
• 1 x 1.5 mile run a week (usually treadmill, just taken it onto the road this week) PB 10.50 treadmill, 11.21 road
• the last 8 weeks I've had a race each weekend, usually a triathlon but last week a half marathon an the week before an 8-miler

So three weeks ago I hit 10.50, thought I was doing really well, felt prepared like the training had been working and on course to pass but now I'm not so sure.

Obviously I spent too much time training on the treadmill and haven't allowed enough time to concentrate on taking it to the road but I can't go back and change that now, I just wanna make sure I make the most of the last couple of weeks I have. I'm hoping part of it is down to the half marathon I ran (a week ago today) and not being fully recovered so hoping next week will give better results!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
:)

Nitroxpuppy

War Hero
Its a mile and a half. Sprint and suffer at the end. Its not a tactical race and if you arent shitting blood at the end youre not trying hard enough. Try fartleking. Really is that simple.

Its a mile and a half. Sprint and suffer at the end. Its not a tactical race and if you arent shitting blood at the end youre not trying hard enough. Try fartleking. Really is that simple.
This. To quote a certain Sgt "You shouldn't have a f*cking sprint finish left in you by the end"

Nitroxpuppy

War Hero
If you are Dorset / Devon way PM me and we can do some sessions together. Afterwards we can go for a run if you like

And anyway just wait til @jarrod248 sees this. He'll have the op's guts for garters I tell ya.

Run 6 days a week. Follow three of them with light weights training and the other three with ab work. Rest on the 7th. Never less than 2 miles and mix them up with straight sprints, fartlek and steady state.
It really is that simple. Ex-RN PT? That is an oxymoron.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
You have 2 weeks to go to re-test, but have had over 4 months to prepare and you haven't got the time down, having already done some time at RMAS - try harder :)

Edited to add if you went to RMAS in 2013, you've had a lot of time to prepare for round 2.

Last edited:
It seems like you're doing a lot of training, yet your run times don't reflect this.

Issues might be: weight versus height - without getting into the merits of BMI, if you're carrying significantly excess weight, you can train as hard as you like, but your running times wont come down significantly until you shift some weight.

Alternatively you may just be crap at the technique of running. its a skill like any other, and for some people it needs to be taught. Worth looking for a local running or tri club or better still a coach who can assist you. It will be worth the investment and may save you further disappointment or injury.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna get some more Fartlek in this week and go for the two milers instead of sticking to the mile and a half. I have managed to shave off 1.46 on the road but you're right it's just not enough. Three weeks ago I was thinking I'd knocked 2.17 off and am definitely feeling a bit stupid that I thought I'd hit the same time on the road.

My bmi is good now, 5ft8 and 10st7 but I was over 3st over weight, lost that through training for RMAS first time but I didn't play any sport/do any training until I started then (2013). So I didn't really have a base to build on until recently. I do most of my training with my tri club and you're right they've helped immeasurably with my technique (not crossing with my arms, stride length etc).

Going to go for a road run with my PT and see if he can pick anything else up as we've only run on a treadmill before.
Thanks again for all info guys, much appreciated!

Thanks guys, I'm gonna get some more Fartlek in this week and go for the two milers instead of sticking to the mile and a half. I have managed to shave off 1.46 on the road but you're right it's just not enough. Three weeks ago I was thinking I'd knocked 2.17 off and am definitely feeling a bit stupid that I thought I'd hit the same time on the road.

My bmi is good now, 5ft8 and 10st7 but I was over 3st over weight, lost that through training for RMAS first time but I didn't play any sport/do any training until I started then (2013). So I didn't really have a base to build on until recently. I do most of my training with my tri club and you're right they've helped immeasurably with my technique (not crossing with my arms, stride length etc).

Going to go for a road run with my PT and see if he can pick anything else up as we've only run on a treadmill before.
As Jarrod hasnt killed you yet

You might have heard that running as fast as you can for as long as you can is the best way, unless you can run 2400 metres before slowing down, its bollocks.
See if you can find a 400m running track and run around it 6 times, check your timings every 400m, if you are smashing 800 metre in 3 minutes but finishing at 11 minutes, then its obvious you are starting to fast but dont have the stamina to carry on, its natural to start fast but if you go too fast, you'll just knacker yourself.
To pass a male PFT, you should be running 400m at an average 1 minute 45 seconds, 5 times, with a best effort sprint for your final 400m.
When I help with remedial PT I go for 1.40, 1.40, 1.45, 1.50, 1.50 then best effort. Its surprising how many people pass when they arent running at Usain Bolt speed at the start.
Don't forget do your press ups, sit ups and 800 metres in 5 minutes before you start, because that also affects your speed. To have an extra 2 or 3 minute rest before starting volunteer to be the first person to do the press ups/situps, then you can rest while the second person completes their exercises.

I'd think about getting a new personal trainer. If hekonws what you are going for and what you have to do to get there, he is failing the job that I presume you are paying him for!!

Thanks stacker1 I'm definitely going to give that a go. I go by pace for each km then the last 400m so I think you're right that it'll help to break it down more as I do tend to run the first km faster.
My press ups and sit ups are good (40-45 and 70 resp, need 21 and 50 to pass) but my warm up isn't quite 800m so will definitely add that in too!

And Daxx Youre right, I know I should be in a better position by now than I am, I've definitely misjudged my training and not put enough in. 2013 was when I first started exercise to lose the weight, I started at RMAS in January this year and came out in May this year.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Praetorian Army Reserve 51
Commentator The Intelligence Cell 590
C Army Reserve 7

Latest Threads