Pets in SLA?

Mscherry

Swinger
Hello not sure I’m posting this in the correct place , basically I own a kitten in my SLA Z type room , and various other people own similar pets . The squadron has found out about these pets and have given us two weeks to “ get rid of them” or severe administrative action will be taken . Not sure what to do I refuse to get rid of my pet , also due to this they are giving us weekly room inspections checking for pets . Do I have any ground to fight this ?

thank you

morsk

LE
Hello not sure I’m posting this in the correct place , basically I own a kitten in my SLA Z type room , and various other people own similar pets . The squadron has found out about these pets and have given us two weeks to “ get rid of them” or severe administrative action will be taken . Not sure what to do I refuse to get rid of my pet , also due to this they are giving us weekly room inspections checking for pets . Do I have any ground to fight this ?

thank you
At ours, if you have permission from Charlie Oscar you are OK. You cant just take animals in unannounced though*

*Not from the JSP, just my opinion and going on other SPs having dogs in the block

You all should have asked beforehand and obtained permission.

JSP464:

0509. Keeping Pets in SLA. There is no entitlement to keep domestic pets in SLA. However, it is recognised that personnel may wish to keep pets, but that the wishes of the individual will need to be balanced against the sensitivities of other personnel living nearby. In order to keep a pet in SLA, the occupant is required to seek written permission from the Local Service Commander before acquiring the pet/bringing the pet into the SLA. Local Service Commanders are to establish clear guidelines on the keeping of pets in SLA.

.... and the Arrse advertising strikes again....
72710988-EDE3-4644-84BD-F79A0E17F53E.jpeg

OK, what happens if you get deployed and tiddles is left behind in your room.

Tiddles is going to be a bit smelly and very dead after about 2 weeks.

OK, what happens if you get deployed and tiddles is left behind in your room.

Tiddles is going to be a bit smelly and very dead after about 2 weeks.

back in the mists of time the policy was that to have a pet in the block you had to show that you had the means to have it looked after whenever you were away

Mscherry

Swinger
You all should have asked beforehand and obtained permission.

JSP464:

0509. Keeping Pets in SLA. There is no entitlement to keep domestic pets in SLA. However, it is recognised that personnel may wish to keep pets, but that the wishes of the individual will need to be balanced against the sensitivities of other personnel living nearby. In order to keep a pet in SLA, the occupant is required to seek written permission from the Local Service Commander before acquiring the pet/bringing the pet into the SLA. Local Service Commanders are to establish clear guidelines on the keeping of pets in SLA.

.... and the Arrse advertising strikes again....
View attachment 451431
Find it absolutely mental we are getting such shit for this and yet sgts and officers living on camp have dogs.

Thanks for the jsp I’ll have a read

Find it absolutely mental we are getting such shit for this and yet sgts and officers living on camp have dogs.

There is a good chance they did it properly...

Thanks for your major concern for my cat , can tell you really care however , he will not be left in the room ,

They said they will remove them ?can they actually do this ?
If it’s contained in a regulation or even an order then it’s a term of your service.

There is a good chance they did it properly...

possibly but doubtful apparently under CO’s standing order no pets are allowed in the accommodation at all.
Be very wary of going down the route of ‘it’s ok because others do it’

You could look into when the COs standing order prohibited pets, for example others may have had authority before a new CO issued a new standing order. Also is it an explicit order of no pets? As that would be unnecessary as the standard is that no pets are allowed without express written permission.
Is the ‘standing order’ really the JSP stating not pets unless authorised’ and the others have complied?
Are they in SLA in the mess, or are they in SFA? The policy is in a different part of the JSP, but they still need permission.

You’ve ‘committed’ less of an offence if you have been ignorant of the JSP, than if you went against both the JSP and standing orders.
But you’re still not in the right.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Christ on a bike has it come to this? As pointed out, what happens if you get deployed do you plan on taking tiddles with you?

possibly but doubtful apparently under CO’s standing order no pets are allowed in the accommodation at all.
At my last unit, juniors werent allowed pets in the blocks seniors and officers were allowed them in the Messes, I cant remember the exact reason given, something along the line that the accommodation was different, personally I just think it was the usual army petty bullshit.
Having said that, if you have been told you cant have a pet, there is **** all you can do about it and you will be probably be charged if you decide to continue.

Christ on a bike has it come to this? As pointed out, what happens if you get deployed do you plan on taking tiddles with you?
Probably the same as whatever the SNCOs and officers who regularly keep pets do.

Contact your nearest REME detachment, apply for stasis containment, and you and your cat will be woken up 3,000,000 years in the future, cat will have morphed into an intelligent life form, and you will be able to retire with a partner who is cuddly, articulate, house trained, and able to feed itself. for more information contact Mr Doug Naylor,, & Mr Rob Grant C/O Jupiter mining corporation, Titan moon Base 1. Tel Jup-2428-0000.....allegedly.

thank you
If a Head of Establisment/CO allows animals onto Defence Estate, they have mandated responsibilities, such as:

Provision of animal waste disposal facilities.
Provision of animal welfare facilities.
Production of procedures defining approvals process.
Production of rules and responsibilities to be adhered to by the animals owner.
Production of a register of animals approved to come onto the estate.
Procedures to ensure the safety of other people.
Procedures to ensure the privacy and comfort of other people.
A procedure to monitor compliance.

It would therefore be reasonable that if the chain of command accidentally discovered the SLA was in actual in fact a care home for pets, they may be a tadge irritated ^~

If a Head of Establisment/CO allows animals onto Defence Estate, they have mandated responsibilities, such as:

Provision of animal waste disposal facilities.
Provision of animal welfare facilities.
Production of procedures defining approvals process.
Production of rules and responsibilities to be adhered to by the animals owner.
Production of a register of animals approved to come onto the estate.
Procedures to ensure the safety of other people.
Procedures to ensure the privacy and comfort of other people.
A procedure to monitor compliance.

It would therefore be reasonable that if the chain of command accidentally discovered the SLA was in actual in fact a care home for pets, they may be a tadge irritated ^~
These must already be in place if Officers and SNCOs have pets I’m the mess.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Charities and Welfare 41
supermatelot ARRSE: Site Issues 54
4PawsPetTravel Classified Ads 5

Latest Threads