Petrol Station explosion - mobile phones

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Hermes_R12, Dec 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I pulled into a service station yesterday to get fuel on A34 and was in the process of terminating a phonecall on my hands free mobile which is connected via blue tooth to the internal speakers, the window was down. Just as I was saying ta ra go to go etc. One of the staff put his face through my open window and and went into a rant about being blown to kingdom come. Now what I wanted to do was wind the window up and elbow him in the face but I didn't of course.

I don't know anyone who has ever blown up a garage whist on a mobile phone at petrol station, I have heard it's a myth. Anyone know any different ?
  2. I think the two poofs on mythbusters tried this a few years ago and concluded it couldn't be done. We have a well known mobile nazi at my local morrisons who scowls out from her armoured booth, waiting to pounce on anybody who even thinks about getting their phone out.
  3. If you really want to piss them off fill up whilst smoking a big **** off cuban cigar.
    • Like Like x 6
  4. They tried it on Brainiac as well and they couldn't ignite, IIRC, a caravan full of petrol vapour with several mobile phones all ringing and vibrating at the same time. They did figure out that you were more at risk of setting off an explosion with the static from a shell suit!
  5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

it's an interesting issue.

on the one side I wouldn't recommend using a powered electronic transmitting device in an area of highly flammable gas.

On the other side the number of petrol stations with mobile phone transmitters in thier signage (great income generator) is on the rise and if you can mount a transmitter that close to the pumps then your phone isn't going to be a major issue.

Saying that I do have a big issue with people holding the phone in one hand and the pump in the other as that is pushing the limit of stupidity a bit far in my mind.

6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

It's a myth. I am sure I could google a link but I saw it demonstrated on Brainiac on Sky 1 a handful of years ago. Richard Hamster and the crew saturated (and some) the inside of a caravan with Benz and placed 300 mobile phones inside. From a safe distance, 300 people each phoned one of the phones inside. Nothing.

So they put a wire in the window and got a bloke in a cagoule to rub himself up and down with a balloon, then touch the balloon to the wire.

Moral of the story: call on mobile phone on forecourt: no risk; filling up car whilst wearing a cagoule: don't do this. No seriously don't. Brainiac did these experiments so that we don't have to.

Edit: what he said above.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I have a mate who works for the co-op in a garage and they have to text the price of the fuel to the whacking big sign not ten feet away from 8 pumps. Bit of a non starter as already proven
  8. I'm sure it's no more dangerous than an ignition coil, distributer, and HT leads. Indicators, headlamps etc etc

Edited to add: In Cape Town one would see Braais (BBQs) on the forecourt. Never heard of explosions there.
  9. It is total bollocks. Can't happen. Well, nigh-on-highly-*******-unlikely...
    There is a vid on Youtube of some Indian guy on top of a petrol tanker, fuel hose in hand, phone rings, and whooompf, goodness gracious, great balls of fire. But it is still not clear if the ignition was caused by the phone.

Kettle on, hobnobs on a plate...

The radio/petrol station bit comes from the jolly good old days of CB radio. Around the time they were legalized, there was a bit of dodgy and illegal gear knocking about. The power amps were poorly designed and had a habit of kicking out a significant transient when the rig was keyed. About the same time, petrol stations where starting to use electronic pumps. The transient from the radio's PA could cause the counter in the pump to reset. So, you could fill your tank, them clear the pump. Free petrol!
    The banning of radios from petrol stations was introduced to stop theft. The safety bit was the excuse.
    Up until about 2000-ish in Finland, you could see people filling their tanks, fag in mouth, phone cradled on the shoulder.

Drink up, back to work.
  10. I get the same shit from them when I light up on the forecourt. *******.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. My understanding of this is that it is possible, but you'll win the lottery first.

12. Lets just get my lighter to check the fuel level!
    • Like Like x 1