Petrol Short Measure.

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by CptDanjou, Dec 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I put £50 in my nearly dry 4x4 on Saturday , normally it would register half full on the gauge but only made it up to quarter on this occasion , sure enough 80 miles later I need more fuel so not a faulty gauge as far as I can tell, Ive got my receipt and debit card slip from the garage and remember the pump number .
    This happened to anyone one else? what did you do ? Next stop trading standards? Is it possible to fiddle the readings ? I`m pretty sure it would be possible for a techie.

2. That will be because your fuel guage is in litres or gallons and not in pounds sterling you great twonk!

• Like Like x 2
  3. I doubt it's fiddled. More likely faulty. For the sake of £25, I doubt it's worth taking any sort of action. You won't be able to prove anything.

If the problem repeats itself at a different petrol station/pump, I'd get your car/fuel gauge checked.

4. I put another £50 in tonight at a different garage and sure enough it went upto half full , Cernunnos ,tonights was dearer per liter than Saturdays , on the receipt anyway.

5. If you can afford the time, I'd fill a jerry can at the same pump and keep the receipt; weigh it before and after and you should be able to work out the weigh of 25 litres or whatever. A 50% error would make me ring trading standards.

• Like Like x 1
  6. It'll be some Popish roguery at work, you mark my words.

• Like Like x 6
  7. I think you mean Papist but I get your point.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Here's to the glorious, pious and immortal memory of the great and good King William III, Prince of Orange, who saved us from rogues and roguery, slaves and slavery, knaves and knavery, Popes and Popery, brass money, short measures of petroleum spirit and wooden shoes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

At current prices you should have been able to stick about 35L into your tank. The meters in the pumps are supposed to be tested by Trading Standards, annually, to a National Standard (If you really want to be bored to death PM me for the measurement uncertainty standards)

10. Simple answer. Go into the station and ask. If it is a dodgy pump others will have complained. Any decent sized company will do the decent thing and admit the error and sort it out. £25 to them is pennies, especially if it gives them a shitty reputation. Worst case scenario is they will say it's fine and not their problem. You have nothing to lose.

11. And here's to the little gentleman in the black velvet waistcoat.

12. I agree with contacting the garage direct escp if they are a supermarket one, they'll sort it our rather than argue for weeks. If that fails then contact the PETROLEUM OFFICER at the appropriate County Council and they will test the pump and examine the stations own test data (has to be done weekly!)

Of course you need to be cerain that you didn't pour it all over the floor due to a split pipe/ temporary insanity or whatever!

13. If you're only getting 50% then that's easy. Just put 2 litres, by the pump measure, in a plastic jerry can (the type with a measure on the side), if it only puts 1 litre of fuel in there is your proof.

However if it shows 2 litres then you're ******* senile.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I don't think anyone really things this is a conspiracy do they... If they were going to scam you they would make it realistic and skim 2/3 percent. I think the evidence of my car taking 110litres to fill up with a 60 litre tank would be more convincing to a court or trading standards.

So whatever happened it's probably fixed by now, and they will probably own up unless it was a freak one off.

15. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

didnt the AA make a thing of customs not checking forecourts anymore as digital pumps are harder to fiddle. but they wont tell you if they are going wrong.

you sure you weren't lower than you thought?

AA also having higher call outs due to people not filling up soon enough.