Petrol shelf life

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by exile1, Aug 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can any old Rag And Oil Company or QM bod tell me how long I can keep a jerry can of unleaded 95 petrol for before it degrades?
    Would the new bio sulfer free fuel last longer?

2. Depends how well you store it, and what engine you want to put it in, but I reckon on 3 to 6 months before starting becomes difficult.

You can buy stuff to extend the effective life. Try somewhere like a chandlers or B&Q, where they sell it for motor mowers and the like.

I understand that the more modern petrols (unleaded and so on) are more prone to staleness as they have a higher volatility, but I may be talking from the chuff on that one.

If you need more info, I know where to ask.

3. If it is unit filled, then it has a 3 month shelf life.
    If it is depot filled (ie from West Moors), then it has a nominal shelf life of 3 years, but you need to check the batch details as some of this shelf life will have been taken up by depot storage. This shelf life may be extended by the depot fuels laboratory who may give a revised 'retest' date if a representative sample of the fill batch is tested and is assesed as not having degraded excessively.

The lower sulphur fuel will not have any impact on shelf life, as this is based on oxidisation rates and the removal of sulphur is not for technical or specification reasons, but for EU legislative reasons based on exhaust emissions.

You should be able to get this information through your 'Q' chain.

4. Many thanks. I like to keep a couple of cans in the cellar [living in Eastern end of central Europe] for a rainy day. I shall rotate it through the car/mower/tiller.

5. Don't worry too much about any incipient shortages, my business is buying crude and refined products from Russia and the CIS, supply is currently no problem.

6. Not quite right in the 3 year statement....it is actually 1 year from fill date, and you should submit batch info 3 months prior to this running out. but 9/10 ringing up West Moors with the batch number will have it extended there and then.