Petrol sales fall 20pc

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, Jun 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "British motorists are shunning their cars following record rises in the price of fuel, the International Energy Agency said on Tuesday.

The IEA, a widely respected body, said that "British motorists are clearly driving less" following a doubling in crude oil prices over the past year.

Petrol retailers have disclosed that fuel sales dropped sharply over the past few weeks and the latest figures appear to show that demand for petrol in Britain has slumped by as much as 20 per cent over the past 12 months.

According to the IEA, a part of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, motorists are instead choosing to take public transport as their cars become too expensive to run.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph on Tuesday, Eduardo Lopez, the IEA's chief oil analyst, said: "British motorists are clearly driving less. "They are switching to public transport, which is much easier to do in Britain than in America, where people living in the suburbs often have to drive whether or not they want to."

The analysis provides some of the first hard evidence that motorists are realising that they have to change their behaviour in response to the sharp rise in petrol prices.

The drop in demand for petrol among British drivers is greater than that being experienced in other countries. The analysis backs up evidence collected from surveys of motorists conducted by the AA, which indicate that most people are now attempting to cut back.

Luke Bosdet, an AA spokesman, said drivers had become much more conscious of cost. "We may be turning the clocks back to the 1970s when working people couldn't afford to drive any more," he said. "
  2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Oh dear, the petrol providers will have to increase the price of fuel to cover their losses, which will generate still further excess tax.

How sad. Never mind.
  3. Looks like the AA have just blown liabour's cunning plan :evil:
  4. Guess all those car miles weren't so absolutely vital, after all.

Not of itself a bad thing. When it becomes a preventative to genuinely necessary journeys, then it'll be a bad thing - but nipping into the motor for half a mile to get a pint of milk is taking the piss a bit.
  5. Bugger me.....and before the comments come crashing in...not this rate people might actually rediscover the use of their legs...whatever next?!!
  6. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

As SmartasCarrots says, it looks like not all of the journeys we used to make were vital after all, however I would point out that in my corner of the southeast, diesel would need to be about £2.30 a litre for my 60 mile round trip to work to cost the same as a train ticket.

Then there is the time taken – the public transport would take over an hour to take me home where driving will take between 35 and 50 minutes. Finally public transport wouldn’t allow me to travel over to a mates house after work, or go to a sports club on the other side of the county simply because of the time it would take to do.

I’m not pleased at the rising cost of fuel, but I know that it’s still cheaper quicker and more flexible than public transport by a long, long way.
  7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The difficulty for a lot of people will be that they cannot do without cars completely, whether it's because they still need them for some journeys (for example, I am on a 1:2 on call rota, with a requirement to be at the hospital within 1 hour - simply impossible on public transport), or because the vehicle is on finance and could not be got rid of without a substantial loss. So, the car has to be kept and paid for, and insured, and taxed - on top of the usually steep fares, for those for whom public transport is viable.
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It's a terrible thing indeed! Those poor oil companies having to raise prices (and profits) dramatically, not because of a shortage of oil, not because of any major disasters or cost increases, but merely because of speculators making lots and lots of millions, and of course, using Iraq as a handy excuse.

What is desperately upsetting of course is that the gobment is take a 20% cut in fuel duty AND VAT on top of it.

It's a hard time for everyone.
  9. The answer to every businesses' prayers, prices increase by 27% and they have to refine and distribute 20% less. Nice business.

One bus every other day in our village, and 5 miles to nearest doctor's surgery (yet we're only 30 miles or so away from London) means cars are essential. And given the state of the roads, constant flooding, speed ramps, etc, 4 wheel drives aren't exactly a fashion accessory around here.

10. Christ! How bad's the feckin public transport in Yankeeland?? 8O
  11. REgards - it is almost non-existant - especially in non-urban areas. All of the USA is established on owning a car. They have largely abandoned the town centre and shop at the malls - on the edge of town. Even where there are strips of shops, they all have substantial car parks. The USA is really suffering from the 'feel good' politics of big gas-guzzlers and cheap fuel at the moment - which is a very good thing for them to do.
  12. I travelled to work at 02.45 today.
    Not many buses around at that time in North Wales.
    Presumably I should give up and go on the Dole to avoid having to use petrol?
    I suppose I could get up an hour earlier and walk....

The really sad thing is that Brown will regard this as a an environmental success. Meanwhile the rest of the country not living in an ivory tower in Whitehall will go to the wall.
  13. Gordon broon couldn't run a bath or organise a p1ss up in a brewery, I went to the Petrol station today to fill up , even this early the garage is full of cars, quite clearly nobody believes Gordon Broon's ,message of Don't panic we will ensure supplies will go though, like as feck, this Government is going from one crisis to another without a clue what to do.
  14. If Blunkett was still in he could lead the rest of the blind useless fcukers!