Petrol forecourts-An investment opportunity?

They could reposition some as holding cells for marxist protesters

Produce a heat map of their protests and pick some petrol stations nearby and there you have holding cells for IB, XR and whatever other Marxist loonies rename themselves

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
EV charging alongside petrol already exists. Did they have to decontaminate, or separate?

Decontaminate? No because the fuelling facilities are still in use. Separate? I've no idea what the rules for co-location are.

As someone already suggested, the margins on fuel for a site operator are minuscule, something like a few pence a litre. Their money has always been made on footfall into the shop, hence the food/snack/coffee facilities and more recently, alcohol sales.
I doubt very much if their margin from providing electric will be any more as any shavings will have already been taken. The reason they get a few pence per litre now is that they have responsibility for the storage/ordering and safety (leakage etc) of the underground fuel tanks. Interesting fact, IIRC, there is only one company in the UK that tackle tank safety by being responsible for quantities received/delivered/held in stock, and they can shut a site down immediately if there is any significant unaccounted loss that could be a leak.

hoofie

Clanker
As someone already suggested, the margins on fuel for a site operator are minuscule, something like a few pence a litre. Their money has always been made on footfall into the shop, hence the food/snack/coffee facilities and more recently, alcohol sales.
I doubt very much if their margin from providing electric will be any more as any shavings will have already been taken. The reason they get a few pence per litre now is that they have responsibility for the storage/ordering and safety (leakage etc) of the underground fuel tanks. Interesting fact, IIRC, there is only one company in the UK that tackle tank safety by being responsible for quantities received/delivered/held in stock, and they can shut a site down immediately if there is any significant unaccounted loss that could be a leak.
Footfall is the killer with EVs. Currently you can get loads of punters through the door to make the site viable as filling a car up is quick. If an EV takes say an hour you need the same money being spent in the shop but off much, much lower footfall as you don't have the space for hundreds of EVs.
I cannot see how Petrol Stations can transition to be honest. Also your site is worth much less to a developer because of the clean up costs that can be incurred.

Footfall is the killer with EVs. Currently you can get loads of punters through the door to make the site viable as filling a car up is quick. If an EV takes say an hour you need the same money being spent in the shop but off much, much lower footfall as you don't have the space for hundreds of EVs.
I cannot see how Petrol Stations can transition to be honest. Also your site is worth much less to a developer because of the clean up costs that can be incurred.
Regarding re-development of petrol stations, I think it just depends on where they are and what the added value of any redevelopment would be. Many will not be viable, some will be. In our small Perthshire town, we recently had one redeveloped into a block of flats. It had been a village petrol station and car mechanic since the 1950s and required extension clean-up but it is in a prime spot in the centre of the village. Another one a mile or two outside the town has been left as a ruin.

Old Scribes

Old-Salt
Of course EV charging points are likely to be added to existing facilities, but I was thinking more along the lines of additional customer facilities to support longer waits for charging.
Such facilities will depend on real estate available for expansion, and rural and urban offerings will be very different.
Last time I lived in a city and drove a car, my choice for refueling was dictated by price, convenience and facilities available.
The shops attached to UK petrol stations have already mushroomed without the delays caused by EV charging?
The petrol station that I referred to earlier, which is just a couple of hundred yards outside the London congestion charge zone, has seven charging points and also has a Londis shop and a Costa coffee facility. Many people used to park in side streets just outside the charge zone and then use public transport. Maybe they are using the charging points in the same way?

The petrol station that I referred to earlier, which is just a couple of hundred yards outside the London congestion charge zone, has seven charging points and also has a Londis shop and a Costa coffee facility. Many people used to park in side streets just outside the charge zone and then use public transport. Maybe they are using the charging points in the same way?
How long can you leave your vehicle on/at a charging-point, before someone starts to get agitated ?!

Or un-plugs it, or cuts the cable Etc :???:
I was thinking more of "chancers" using the re-charge as a pretext, to save paying - otherwise - parking fees elsewhere. Once you're resigned to paying the (inflated) commercial price for the electricity, the charger will cut-out when your battery is full, and the rest of the time you leave (abandon) your vehicle, if free parking !!

Latest Threads