Petrol forecourts-An investment opportunity?

It’s fairly clear that government is sold on this future for personalized transport.

Given even the minimum time required for charging, there are opportunities for exploitation. Motels anyone?

Of course it’s entirely possible that an alternate source of propulsion will be found, and the government back track. It’s not like it never happened before!

Alternate power sources are not an ‘investment opportunity’ for EV charging stations. Maybe there’s a thread about that elsewhere? :)

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Given the political and environmental pressures on the ICE, and the proposed shift to EVs, is there an opportunity to re-develop current petrol station land to meet the needs of coming changes?

Present gas stations could become popular in providing both sources of propulsion during the likely cross over to all EV points, with a mix of service opportunities on an increasing scale.

Fast charging is probably going to be limited to at least a 30+ minute wait for some time. This could well change our habits, and increase the need for greater facilities as part of the service. In remote locations, provision for overnight facilities could increase, or maybe people will just travel by train?
Good luck with absorbing the related decontamination costs.

I am not knocking you..

Did you miss my words "90min - 180 mins for the average budget restrained motorist."
I’m not knocking you either, but my question was related to investment opportunities food because charging times mean a minimum wait. It matters not how long the wait is, unless it’s an overnighted. Motels. LGV parking?

Nothing much gone wrong with nuclear power to run motor vehicles either.

Good luck with absorbing the related decontamination costs.
Long term costs? As there will be a requirement for petroleum products even after manufacture ceases! How old are ICE classics nowadays?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Long term costs? As there will be a requirement for petroleum products even after manufacture ceases! How old are ICE classics nowadays?
If you re-purpose a petrol station, it has to be decontaminated, which isn't cheap.

It’s fairly clear that government is sold on this future for personalized transport.

Given even the minimum time required for charging, there are opportunities for exploitation. Motels anyone?

Of course it’s entirely possible that an alternate source of propulsion will be found, and the government back track. It’s not like it never happened before!

Alternate power sources are not an ‘investment opportunity’ for EV charging stations. Maybe there’s a thread about that elsewhere? :)
My bold. Think on, 26,000,000 electric cars at some time in the future, all on charge at the same time, potentially, at the end of the working day, how is the grid expected to cope, as of date, we can just about cope with the demand as it stands, and the grown ups want to build another 250,000 homes a year for new family's, and incomers. As for charging points, a opportunity for the big corporations, to really clean up, and as for on street charging, especially for homes with no drive or garage, a thieves and vandals paradise.

The problems with charging, battery disposal, replacement, and maintenance on sealed units is monumental, and as for hydrogen cars, .....Add to all that...Joe public is now expected to bin gas boilers. and install heat pumps at about £15,000 a pop. Thank fruck i only have a few years left, i am horrified at what my children, and grandchildren are going to have confront in the next 20 years...and all because of overpopulation, not enough resources to sustain us, and short sighted spineless politicians, who will not confront the real truth WE ARE FULL, THE COUNTRY IS OVERCROWDED, WE CANNOT ABSORB ANY MORE. The world has reached the limits of its sustainability. .....Humans, not nature are the biggest threat to mankind,.......... a delicious irony. :(

Last edited:

Tool

LE
At what point do ho/motels change their operating models? Book 3 months in advance, pay 50% less than on-the-day already exists.
"Just plugged the charger in, I need a bed for 3 hours".
"Sorry sir, when did you book?"
"Thirty seconds ago."
"Aaah. well sir, that will be £300* upfront please."
Motorist sits in his car, fuming. 4 hours later involved in an accident due to road rage and lack of sleep.

*Cost of having someone on duty 24/7 to clean - or not - hotel rooms just in case someone needs a bed while their car is charging. Someone 24/7 to serve crappy, lukewarm cofftea and a stale bun at 03:00 because that's when he's managed to get his car charged. Somone 24/7 to clean up after said cofftea is spat out in disgust, and clean the plate of the remnants pf said stale bun. And a 24-hour management structure on-site because drivers can be sh1ts and demand to "SPEAK TO THE MANAGER!".

My bold. Think on, 26,000,000 electric cars at some time in the future, all on charge at the same time, potentially, at the end of the working day, how is the grid expected to cope....

My feeling is this will never happen. The grid won't cope with it, and the world won't provide enough materials for the batteries, without trashing a lot of the environment.

The way to go is big improvements to public transport and doesn't have millions of individuals owning their own vehicles.

The way to go is big improvements to public transport and doesn't have millions of individuals owning their own vehicles.
Its one or the other, It cannot be both, although many authority's are trying to up grade their transport infrastructure. As for the great British public binning their pride and joys, it will never happen. The car is here to stay, its too an ingrained part of our lives, and to some, a status symbol, it shows the world their level in the pecking order. For me, their will come a time when the family motor will be a financial liability. Now retired , I use my bus pass more than i use the car. ;)

My feeling is this will never happen. The grid won't cope with it, and the world won't provide enough materials for the batteries, without trashing a lot of the environment.

No No No! America has decreed this is clean. It’s electricity, not fossil fuels. It doesn’t pollute. Batteries etc are eco friendly. Geez. Get with the future!

So it is not a highly flammable gas anymore?

On solution is for work hubs, where you have communications access for working - desk space with eating and drinking outlets - drive to work and charge up

Do EV drain volts i.e. drive to Gatwick fly off to the sun for 2 weeks, will the car be sufficiently charged to get home once you are back

Archie

I've posted this before

The money quote being (my bold):

To meet UK electric car targets for 2050, we would need just under twice the current annual world cobalt production

Now cobalt is presently mined in Africa by using child slave labour in ecologically catastrophic strip mines. We need double that, just for the UK alone, 100x that for the entire rest of the world. The people telling you that we have to do it claim to be both green and ethical...

Mbongwe

War Hero
Look, you need to think bigger than just fuel or charging. So many of the small stations won't survive, so I propose we turn them into brothels and strip joints. **** the BP or Shell sign off and replace it with a big red neon GIRLSGIRLSGIRLS SEXYLIVESHOW CUNTSTOP and get some trafficked women in to service the punters, you'll make heaps plus you get to dress like Huggy Bear from Starsky And Hutch.
Trust an ARRSE'r to bring ethics and values into the equation! :D

If you re-purpose a petrol station, it has to be decontaminated, which isn't cheap.
EV charging alongside petrol already exists. Did they have to decontaminate, or separate?

Trust an ARRSE'r to bring ethics and values into the equation! :D
Apart from dressing like Huggy Bear, I can only imagine the investment opportunities. :)

My bold. Think on, 26,000,000 electric cars at some time in the future, all on charge at the same time, potentially, at the end of the working day, how is the grid expected to cope, as of date, we can just about cope with the demand as it stands, and the grown ups want to build another 250,000 homes a year for new family's, and incomers. As for charging points, a opportunity for the big corporations, to really clean up, and as for on street charging, especially for homes with no drive or garage, a thieves and vandals paradise.

The problems with charging, battery disposal, replacement, and maintenance on sealed units is monumental, and as for hydrogen cars, .....Add to all that...Joe public is now expected to bin gas boilers. and install heat pumps at about £15,000 a pop. Thank fruck i only have a few years left, i am horrified at what my children, and grandchildren are going to have confront in the next 20 years...and all because of overpopulation, not enough resources to sustain us, and short sighted spineless politicians, who will not confront the real truth WE ARE FULL, THE COUNTRY IS OVERCROWDED, WE CANNOT ABSORB ANY MORE. The world has reached the limits of its sustainability. .....Humans, not nature are the biggest threat to mankind,.......... a delicious irony. :(
This is the NAFFI and your extrapolations are altogether too serious. :)

Scrote magnet right there.
Halfords had better stock up on replacement charging cables

Latest Threads