Petrol forecourts-An investment opportunity?

One of my many daughters lives in a petrol station, a developer purchased it and put up four houses !
where I live nearly all of the local petrol stations have gone over to housing, big profits for the developers and once the tanks are out a large surface area

the supermarkets pretty much killed the small ones off, the one nearest to my house closed, a new Sainsbugs was built on the site of the old Canadian camp, then a few years back a petrol station appeared, prior development it seems, no EV charging points yet, but they have an extensive car park to install them in

the big Shell station on the Lansdown road closed earlier this year and is being redeveloped into a Waitrose store, coffee shop, smaller filling station, and four EV charging points
its on a major junction and I am sure will collect plenty of passing trade from the busy yummy mummies at the local private schools,

Partial redevelopment of an existing petrol filling station; including the demolition of the existing sales building and removal of canopy link and LPG compound; erection of a new sales building; provision of car parking spaces and cycle parking; replacement of jet wash; retention of canopy, forecourt and car wash; relocation of car care facilities; and associated works
Did they accept your tender? ;)

Tool

LE
Look, you need to think bigger than just fuel or charging. So many of the small stations won't survive, so I propose we turn them into brothels and strip joints. **** the BP or Shell sign off and replace it with a big red neon GIRLSGIRLSGIRLS SEXYLIVESHOW CUNTSTOP and get some trafficked women in to service the punters, you'll make heaps plus you get to dress like Huggy Bear from Starsky And Hutch.
So, you got a 3-hour charge stop. You are offered sex, which you accept. What are you going to do with the other 2 hours 57 minues?

Given the political and environmental pressures on the ICE, and the proposed shift to EVs, is there an opportunity to re-develop current petrol station land to meet the needs of coming changes?

Present gas stations could become popular in providing both sources of propulsion during the likely cross over to all EV points, with a mix of service opportunities on an increasing scale.

Fast charging is probably going to be limited to at least a 30+ minute wait for some time. This could well change our habits, and increase the need for greater facilities as part of the service. In remote locations, provision for overnight facilities could increase, or maybe people will just travel by train?

Personally, I don't think the battery car thing is going to work out. Hydrogen might do better in the longer term, and present fuel stations would be ideal sites for hydrogen generators. These are already being made in ISO units, easy to site, most PFS's will have enough space.

Onsite-Hydrogen-Station-20273.jpg

Given the political and environmental pressures on the ICE, and the proposed shift to EVs, is there an opportunity to re-develop current petrol station land to meet the needs of coming changes?

Present gas stations could become popular in providing both sources of propulsion during the likely cross over to all EV points, with a mix of service opportunities on an increasing scale.

Fast charging is probably going to be limited to at least a 30+ minute wait for some time. This could well change our habits, and increase the need for greater facilities as part of the service. In remote locations, provision for overnight facilities could increase, or maybe people will just travel by train?
Fast Charging? 30min for a Tesla, 90min - 180 mins for the average budget restrained motorist.
I would have suggested maintenance and repair on the forecourts but the makers have an EU outlook, total control, despite not having the infrastructure to cope with such things. Cost is another issue and one which, with home and local repairs being forbidden, is quite likely going to kill the EV industry before it really gets going.

Personally, I don't think the battery car thing is going to work out. Hydrogen might do better in the longer term, and present fuel stations would be ideal sites for hydrogen generators. These are already being made in ISO units, easy to site, most PFS's will have enough space.

Onsite-Hydrogen-Station-20273.jpg
"Hydrogen, in the history of transportation, nothing has even gone wrong with using hydrogen"

2-format1012.jpg

Last edited:
One thing that I can’t quite get my head around is how people in accommodation where on street parking is their only option will adjust?
Like this?
tesla-model-s-recharging-on-the-street-in-london.jpg

No post-shag smoke, then?

Don't know, never looked.

As for hydrogen cells, still need to pass an electric current through distilled water for the hydrogen generator to do its job. Had one in the balloon room in the Antarctic. Occupied a pretty big space and it took most of the day to provide two balloon fills for the sonde launches with a bit left over, not to mention the still for distilling the water running permanently. The number of hydrogen generators a commercial enterprise will require is going to occupy a fair bit of space and cost a bomb. An alternative method needs to be found.

Blogg

LE
A sign that big industry can change

One of the factors for JCB moving toward hydrogen (as in their hydrogen combustion engine, not fuel cell) is that from next April Red Diesel cannot be used for the construction industry purposes at all.

So that's going to prove a tad expensive and will create a demand for hydrogen fuelled models, which go into pre production at end of 2022.

And here they are able to supply the hydrogen as well.

My local garage has 12 pumps, it would require a new substation of its own to power 12 Tesla superchargers or equivalent, even more if it converted its parking spaces into charging bays too. In fact rip out the pumps and make it all charging bays and it could probably fit 40-50 cars at a time, but how to power this setup?

Actually some of the existing space would also have to be converted to give people something to do whilst waiting for a charge, or for a charge to finish. Basically no-one has really thought this through.

Fast Charging? 30min for a Tesla, 90min - 180 mins for the average budget restrained motorist.
I would have suggested maintenance and repair on the forecourts but the makers have an EU outlook, total control, despite not having the infrastructure to cope with such things. Cost is another issue and one which, with home and local repairs being forbidden, is quite likely going to kill the EV industry before it really gets going.
Did you miss my use of the words, 30 minute minimum?

My local garage has 12 pumps, it would require a new substation of its own to power 12 Tesla superchargers or equivalent, even more if it converted its parking spaces into charging bays too. In fact rip out the pumps and make it all charging bays and it could probably fit 40-50 cars at a time, but how to power this setup?

Actually some of the existing space would also have to be converted to give people something to do whilst waiting for a charge, or for a charge to finish. Basically no-one has really thought this through.
GBFO windmill next door?

Did you miss my use of the words, 30 minute minimum?
I am not knocking you..

Did you miss my words "90min - 180 mins for the average budget restrained motorist."

Latest Threads