Petrol forecourts-An investment opportunity?

Given the political and environmental pressures on the ICE, and the proposed shift to EVs, is there an opportunity to re-develop current petrol station land to meet the needs of coming changes?

Present gas stations could become popular in providing both sources of propulsion during the likely cross over to all EV points, with a mix of service opportunities on an increasing scale.

Fast charging is probably going to be limited to at least a 30+ minute wait for some time. This could well change our habits, and increase the need for greater facilities as part of the service. In remote locations, provision for overnight facilities could increase, or maybe people will just travel by train?

Old Scribes

Old-Salt
Given the political and environmental pressures on the ICE, and the proposed shift to EVs, is there an opportunity to re-develop current petrol station land to meet the needs of coming changes?

Present gas stations could become popular in providing both sources of propulsion during the likely cross over to all EV points, with a mix of service opportunities on an increasing scale.

Fast charging is probably going to be limited to at least a 30+ minute wait for some time. This could well change our habits, and increase the need for greater facilities as part of the service. In remote locations, provision for overnight facilities could increase, or maybe people will just travel by train?
In London, on my half hour daily commute by bus, I have noticed that quite a few petrol stations have installed EV charging points. In the evening they appear to be pretty well used - and already almost at max capacity.

In London, on my half hour daily commute by bus, I have noticed that quite a few petrol stations have installed EV charging points. In the evening they appear to be pretty well used - and already almost at max capacity.
Of course EV charging points are likely to be added to existing facilities, but I was thinking more along the lines of additional customer facilities to support longer waits for charging.
Such facilities will depend on real estate available for expansion, and rural and urban offerings will be very different.
Last time I lived in a city and drove a car, my choice for refueling was dictated by price, convenience and facilities available.
The shops attached to UK petrol stations have already mushroomed without the delays caused by EV charging?

hoofie

Clanker
Petrol Stations are basically expensive shops that sell petrol on the side. The latter is purely to get punters in the door to buy sweets, crisps etc. The profit margin on petrol is tiny. Supermarkets build stations to get people into the supermarket first. Also if tanks leak etc you are on the hook for the astronomical costs of fixing it.
I'd suggest it's a dying business unless it evolves to a model that can quick charge EVs etc.

Petrol Stations are basically expensive shops that sell petrol on the side. The latter is purely to get punters in the door to buy sweets, crisps etc.
I don't know what it is like in UK now, but our local 24/7 petrol station shops are hideously expensive, and don't carry any of the stuff that 'petrol station shops' traditionally carried.
You know, silly things like maps, windscreen wipers, replacement bulbs and fuses, jump leads, gallons of Duckhams Q, black nasty etc
In fact, ask the minimum wage mong behind the armoured glass if they have fuses, and they'll look at you as if you have 3 heads.

It's kind of funny here because our "corner shop" is run by the same group of Sri Lankans as the garage, so I can go to my corner shop and buy oil, car batteries, two stroke for the strimmer , fantastic. They love it at six in the morning when I come in with my "morning and how are we today my favourite tamil tigers" ;) Oh and the "You do know it's actually Ceylon" Good bunch of lads actually and enjoy the crack, invited me round the other month, walked in and it smelled amazing,It was a curry they were doing, said it would be ready about 11. Bloody awesome, best I have had in a long time.

Probably post-code driven really.
We all know UK "Pubic Transport" in the UK is utterly dire ...rural wise anyway.
Wholly depends upon whether you live in a thinly populated area of the UK eg Skye where the only fuel lifeline is stupidly priced I.C.E. propellants.
And, of course how and when you actually use a vehicle.
Typically, my car remains on trickle "conditioner" charge mode for up to two weeks or more, but if I do drive it, it's anywhere between 50 to 300 miles...or a lot more... round trip so with small safe range of about 300 miles, I need a chain of ICE fuel stations if EG I'm on an NC500. I think ICE stations will chug along longer than we imagine for now.
Not sure if I'd call them a long term investment though.
Infinite variables.

Is that anything like moustache rides?

5-cent-mustache-rides-sarcastic-funny-flippin-sweet-gear.jpg

Tool

LE
Personally, looking at e-motoring, the present garage situation suits existing demand. As mentioned by others, e-stations are already at capacity. If I owned an e-car and needed to drive somewhere, I would want e-stations where there are currently none. Some of the trips I have made recently are just not feasable with the current locations, unless I need to modify my journeys to be able to travel anywhere. My time is precious enough without having to wait 3 hours to be able to move on another 250 miles. Unless I opt for train travel and hiring cars at my destination - additional costs either way, one financial and the other in non-chargable time.

Personally, looking at e-motoring, the present garage situation suits existing demand. As mentioned by others, e-stations are already at capacity. If I owned an e-car and needed to drive somewhere, I would want e-stations where there are currently none. Some of the trips I have made recently are just not feasable with the current locations, unless I need to modify my journeys to be able to travel anywhere. My time is precious enough without having to wait 3 hours to be able to move on another 250 miles. Unless I opt for train travel and hiring cars at my destination - additional costs either way, one financial and the other in non-chargable time.
chicken and egg, isn't it?
Until there's more e-Cars, what's the point of putting in more e-filling-Stations?
Also, what is the cost v reward here? As you mention, time is a factor - will the e-stations start charging 'peak' prices if you want to charge during certain hours?

Tool

LE
chicken and egg, isn't it?
Until there's more e-Cars, what's the point of putting in more e-filling-Stations?
Also, what is the cost v reward here? As you mention, time is a factor - will the e-stations start charging 'peak' prices if you want to charge during certain hours?
And the cost in time when you're number 4 at a station that has 3 charge points, all on trickle charge for the next 3 hours. Suddenly, an 8-hour trip becomes a 2-dayer.

I'm into photography. The latest move is into mirroless cameras, because they're lighter, smaller and apparently faster. They are also more suited for videography. The issues I have with them are many. I have largish hands, so "smaller" cameras are aren't for me. I'm not into videography. The battery life in one of the upgrades for my existing DSLR has a claimed battery life of 350 images. At present, my DLSR can take between 900 and 1100 images on a charge. Moving to mirrorless means I MUST buy 3 batteries to keep up with being able to do 2x 300-image shoots in a day, one for each shoot and a backup because claimed and actual often differ. Add in that mirrorless cameras are about 20% more expensive across the board, because new technology costs more. Also, camera manufacturers have seen the advantave in bringing out higher quality lenses for the mirrorless cameras, at an inflated price.

The same goes for e-cars. Where does the electricity come from to provide the power? You need to add between £5,000 and £8,000 to a petrol car's price for the same model, to have reduced range and more inconvenience between destinations, as well as at temporary destinations. I've not seen many hotels with e-charging points.

/rant.

Aye..pretty grim in some post codes.
Conversely though, I have to admit that Pre-Covid, I had free buses into town etc, and being equidistant twix Edinburgh & Glasgow, both were a 25 minute effort either way in the HiSpeeders from Falkirk High only I dont use public transport just now and have not throughout Covid...as I've a recently discovered congenital ticker issue....and it'd be a bit serious. Don't use taxis now meantime either. Train tickets worked out cheaper than petrol & parking and of course...a worthwhile saving on pence per miles wear & tear.
If say I took a StageCoach bus from Falkirk to Glasgow, it'd stop at every hick town on the way....hours.
Wife has relations still on N.E. Coast....and it's always been grim to get to Inverness or whatever.
It's the Uk folk forced to pay 6k plus-plus P/a for 2nd division rolling stock (and few seats if any!) trains just to work I feel sorry for.

Aye..pretty grim in some post codes.
Conversely though, I have to admit that Pre-Covid, I had free buses into town etc, and being equidistant twix Edinburgh & Glasgow, both were a 25 minute effort either way in the HiSpeeders from Falkirk High only I dont use public transport just now and have not throughout Covid...as I've a recently discovered congenital ticker issue....and it'd be a bit serious. Don't use taxis now either. Train tickets work out cheaper than petrol & parking and of course...a worthwhile saving on pence per miles wear & tear.
If say I took a StageCoach bus from Falkirk to Glasgow, it'd stop at every hick town on the way....hours.
Wife has relations still on N.E. Coast....and it's always been grim to get to Inverness or whatever.
was commenting more on your freudian spelling slip than anything else.
However, decisions, decisions - through Scotland by bus, or in the Mazda... if the sun is shining, damn the cost!

On the other hand, most of my journeys are about the 100 mile round trip range. Plus shopping and going into town.
I'm seriously considering getting rid of my (diesel) van and going electric. Especially as our local Tesco has installed charging points.
Will keep the ICE car for longer trips.

was commenting more on your freudian spelling slip than anything else.
However, decisions, decisions - through Scotland by bus, or in the Mazda... if the sun is shining, damn the cost!
Ah!
Not an error....more a comment on a lot of our current infrastructures being a load of balls!;)

We forget the third world doesn't conform to the first world utopian existence. Power is out a lot of the day in places where there is power and the distances are a little more than in Europe. Aus, US and Canadian cities might be good but the distances outside those places make it a no go option.

Further to that, the economic situation is such that a lot of vehicles permanently run on fumes. There are roadside vendors in a lot of African cities with petrol in one and two litre bottles they'll sell to motorcyclists and cars who are beginning to hiccup to get to the next destination. They just don't have the funds to fill right up, or even put in ten or twenty litres at a time.

Your chavs pissing and moaning about only having an old playstation and not being able to go to Magaluf this year because they live in poverty are seriously bullshitting themselves about how tough they have it.

ZW Clanger

War Hero
EVs are undoubtedly the future.

I personally haven’t got one but would consider either full or hybrid when it comes to change.

I live in a semi with a driveway so charging overnight wouldn’t be a problem for me or people in similar situations.

One thing that I can’t quite get my head around is how people in accommodation where on street parking is their only option will adjust?

How will they charge their EVs overnight?

Other than going to an EV charging point at giving it a quick 30 minute boost they won’t have access to any EV charging facilities…surely it’s just not doable?

This isn’t a class thing either…there’s a lot of very expensive ‘terrace housing’ around nowadays so it applies to those scraping by and those in an affluent position.