Petrol chainsaw required for domestic use

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Onetup3, Aug 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No, I am not going to use it on the wife. I am after a petrol chainsaw to cut logs for my woodburner. I reckon I will be cutting 3-4 tons of logs per year from felled timber.

Advice on suitable models would be appreciated. The main driver is cost.

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Only buy Stihl.
    2xx model number, don't bother with any frills.

3. Been using a Stihl MS 171 for years, still going strong with very little maintenance.

4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Agree, Stihl is the way to go. The current one cost IIR c£150.00 has lasted much longer and had many fewer dramas than Ryobi and McCullochs that I had previously.

Try to steer clear of Homebase and B&Q when out buying.

The only things to keep a weather-eye on are:

Fuel:Oil mix - don't make this too light or you'll bugger the engine; and,
    Chain tension.

5. I've had Husqvarna 235 for a couple of years. I've felled some small trees and cut lots of logs with it. No problems to speak of. Easy to adjust the chain on this model.

I think Husqvarna or Stihl are the only makes to go for. Happybonzo is the man to ask.

6. Absolutely. The others are for doing a bit of trimming of bushes in your garden and will not stand up to long term use.

7. Husqvarna are good and competitively priced, Stihl don't rev quite so high and the build is a bit better. Anything else is just chinese snakeoil.
    Watch out for hooky Chinese copies of both makes!

Cheap chainsaws are a mistake which God chooses to punish quite rigourously in this life and they are usually impossible to support with spares.

8. Personally the only reason to buy Husqvarna is that they are a good degree lighter than equivalent Stihl models. If you're not lugging it anywhere then Stihl would be the way to go.

Be careful for deals which look too good to be true. There has recently been a batch of fake Stihls on the market from China, and they are dangerous.

9. Many thanks to all responders for their advice, off to my local Stihl stockist after work.

Cheers OTT

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Look on the net and do your research first.
    Don't be convinced that you need easy chain tensioning or some other gay comfort feature, and don't go smaller than a 211 if you need to cut logs - especially if you get them green and season them yourself (which is cheaper). Get a couple of the little 50ml twist top 2 stroke oils, 1 does 5ltrs which will last you a couple of years from what you said. Stihl orange safety glasses are good too.
    Demonstrators are not a problem if there is one on offer.

11. Stihl. A couple of million trees would thank you for it. Try the Mini-Farm Boss if the timber is not too large, otherwise the Farm Boss is the way to go.