Petrol 53.8p Litre Diesel 57.3p Litre

Discussion in 'Economics' started by geezer466, Nov 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Which is why OPEC are loathe to respond to demands for price easing. It's not the cost of crude but the Government Duty that makes fuel so expensive in this country. OPEC take the view that we should accept a cut ourselves instead of expecting them to do so. They have a point.
    • Like Like x 7
  2. OPEC have a finite resource and will look to get the best price for it as they possibly can before it runs out..... Fuel needs to be this high to fund the Welfare budget in the UK.

That is not to say this can become a peak oil thread....
  3. Last year I was putting £40 a week in the motor and that lasted a full week, now it is closer to £60, my journeys haven't increased in fact they have lessened. If the price rise goes ahead in Jan or in the budget then it I will have to ditch the car for all but essential journeys and will have to get the push bike out again for getting to work.

On that point, will this mean that people will stop long commutes to work and people will seek employment closer to their home? there seems that there could be a whole raft of issues that could emerge once the price hits a point where it becomes prohibitive for some people to own and run a car, and how far away is that scenario.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bit like fags really, the poor retailer only gets 4% of the packet price wheras the government takes about 60% and then they wonder why shops sell dodgy fags...!
  5. I know I am not really in a position to comment on this living and working in BFG with fuel coupons. However, I still notice prices and what I cannot get is why the UK, I know there are 1 or 2 others but stick to UK, makes diesel more expensive than petrol when on the continent as a whole its the other way round. Most HGV use diesel, so why hamstring our tpt industry by making it cheaper to fill up abroad?
  6. Politicians will never listen becuase the political classes can claim their petrol back on expenses.
  7. Easy answer = it was a Labour tax grab. Spend a few years waiting for motorists to switch to (then) more economic diesel cars, then declare diesel a danger to the environment and impose a punative rate of tax.
  8. They won't listen because nobody does anything about it. It's not a sexy enough topic to warrant mass demonstrations. Plus most of the people who care work for a living.
  9. Still cheaper than a pint, stop crying.
  10. It will soon be £1.00 per litre, then what will we do? .... Nothing is the answer!

Society has branded the internal combustion engine as a "vital product" in the efficiently of the running of society and has now taken it for granted, irrelevant of cost.

This is why the authority's bang the motorist for so much money buy way of taxes and fines, then there is a second wave of expenditure by way of greedy rip off insurance company's, not to mention the breakdown boys
    charging a Statutory Charge of £120 to simply tow you off the motorway unless you pay by rolling direct debit to a breakdown company.

The British Motorist, very unhappy about the cost of motoring, but unable and unwilling to do anything about it.

Make it £10.00 per litre, we will winge about it but still cough up. :)
  11. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

A mate of mine has a T Reg diesel car - he runs it on vegetable oil. He buys it in 5 litre tubs from Asda. It works out around 80p/Litre - even cheaper when there's an offer on.

On the negative side, anyone behind him will be permanently convinced there's a chippy nearby and will find their mouths filling with water without realising why...
  12. Unfortunately no government looks beyond the next election, which is why their intended and unintended social engineering is such a disaster. Having encouraged the post-war generations to be mobile and to work in locations away from dormitory suburbs, successive governments have then milked transport as one of the cash cows that are needed to support the welfare state. Hence road travel is becoming unaffordable, and "public" transport is already unaffordable and/or non-existent. My neighbour works on a fairly modest job up in London, but has concluded that she might as well give it up and go onto welfare - the cost of getting to the job now takes a large chunk of her income and, when added to the other direct and indirect tax costs, leaves her with almost no disposable income.
  13. Yup and the same will happen with LPG.