Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Petition

The proposer of this seems a bit naive, the target figure of 500 is to say the least silly, given the number that it needs to achieve is way below that which the governement are required to sit up and take action on. In saying that it's an issue that needs addressing, forget the niavity of the proposer and put the power or ARRSE behind the issue.......VOTE.

Are veterans 'forced to live on the streets'?

Does the army not equip them with skills that allow them to make their way on civvy street?

How long are veterans expected to receive treatment above and beyond that which their civilian compatriots enjoy?

The proposer of this seems a bit naive, the target figure of 500 is to say the least silly, given the number that it needs to achieve is way below that which the governement are required to sit up and take action on. In saying that it's an issue that needs addressing, forget the niavity of the proposer and put the power or ARRSE behind the issue.......VOTE.
Target figures are standard for this kind of website. You'll find that when/if the 500 figure is exceeded a new target will appear. Nothing to do with the naivety of the proposer, although that may be a fact.

1) There is no point in using change.org for a petition when the government have their own website that they legally have to look at. Change.org will be and is ignored.

2) Nobody is forced to live on the streets, living on the streets is the result of a series of poor choices.

3) immigrants getting social housing over former serving soldiers? I dont doubt that it happens but if migrants are not housed then the problem gets worse with slums forming around towns and cities. It seems that immigration itself needs to be re-examined and sorted out once and for all. I dont see how mixing that up with forces housing is going to help.

I would like to see better care taken of people after leaving the forces but lets face it, the majority of the ex forces on the streets are there because of mental health and / or drug problems and are extremely difficult and often unwilling to help.

In any case, "signing" a change dot org petition is a waste of time. If you must create a petition then use the government version where you only need to get 100,000 signatures to get it looked at by an MP

The fact is that if enough new social housing was built, we would be able to house veterans.

While we are forced to prioritise existing stock with virtually almost no new stock being built, we are never going to resolve the housing crises.

Like it or not, children will always be a priority for being housed. Let’s be honest. If you were homeless with children, you would want priority. So those families with children are first in the queue.

The private rental sector is heavily subsidised in the UK but despite that fact, it doesn’t meet the demand. We should be using more of that money to build more social housing rather than just papering over the cracks with the private rental sector.

That way, we can tailor the housing infrastructure to meet the needs that exist for everybody.

So this petition is pointless posturing because essentially the most disadvantaged, I.e. children, would suffer more as a result if the petition was successful and that isn’t going to happen.

Last edited:
there's plenty of empty houses in Britain.
Just use your military skillz to enter and occupy, and then resist all attempts to evict you.
Problem solved.

Extra points earned if you occupy a house owned by a foreigner.

there's plenty of empty houses in Britain.
Just use your military skillz to enter and occupy, and then resist all attempts to evict you.
Problem solved.

Extra points earned if you occupy a house owned by a foreigner.
AND they seem to be literally throwing up new ones. another big slack handful not 5 miles from my house right on the far side of a shitty town towards the arrse end of nowhere. That is after they just finished building 120 houses on another side of same shitty town and another 100 odd on ANOTHER side of same shitty town. Who wants to live there? And that is all after you pay your deposit, which more or less pays to get the foundations and groundwork in. Its shocking.

And why veterans? Anyone who served a good amount gets a pension which pays the rent/mortgage. I guess by 'vet' (a term I despise - americanisms aside it means anyone who has done a day, but I digress). These people leave after 3 years and feel entitled to free stuff and preferential treatment because they stagged on outside an airfield and went on a 4 day exercise at Barton effing Stacey? Gay off.

Army veterans, before achieving veteran status, are relatively well paid, compared to a lot of the UK workforce. They have the opportunity to save a deposit to buy a house. If they squander this, and alot do, they have no more right to priority housing than anyone else.

Something of a bad smell coming off the wording of the petition.

Fair enough prioritising ex-servicemen. I don't have a problem with that. But why just ex-servicemen? Why not the police, nurses etc.

How do you sort your priority between a nurse with 40 years of care against a bloke who spent three years serving. My father was in the Army for 35 years and basically did nothing (at least nothing of real consequence). There are probably plenty of coppers who have been shot at more often than most soldiers.

A bit of a slippery slope.

Id prefer a petition to see this clearly defined. It needs to be at least trained soldier status.

With my awkward hat on, my first question would be. Does a British passport holder who served in a foreign military count?

I think the term is so open to interpretation as to define any precise definition that would satisfy this petition. regardless of whether the petition itself is a good idea or not.

Does this include those who were kicked out for crimes ranging from drug abuse to murder and Veterans who subsequently committed serious crimes? Just want to be clear.

Does this include those who were kicked out for crimes ranging from drug abuse to murder and Veterans who subsequently committed serious crimes? Just want to be clear.

I wouldn't worry about it as it is not going to happen anyway.
Same goes for the NDM and all those other batshit ideas.