Petition to prevent the Suns Millies awards

I like it!

"..on the grounds of decency"

Fair one :D

Cowhead said:
That's not going to work - how can Downing St stop a National Newspaper doing their own awards?
But think how embarrassing it would be to a 'popular' 'news'paper to have a massive petition raised against one of its initiatives?

I'd love to see one from ArmyNet, as well - just to rub salt in.

smartascarrots said:
Cowhead said:
That's not going to work - how can Downing St stop a National Newspaper doing their own awards?
But think how embarrassing it would be to a 'popular' 'news'paper to have a massive petition raised against one of its initiatives?

And as you can see, Gordon Brown has already signed :D

Silly bugger should sort out his spelling and grammar before he puts up one of these No.10 PR petitions; he'd get more attention from the interested public. Not that anyone at No.10 gives a toss anyway; they'd do not a thing if every single one of the 60 million legal inhabitants of these isles signed it with their souls' blood.

I think the awards are pretty crap, but the current bun has always supported 'our boys and girls' through thick and thin, and personaly I would rather have them with us and on our side, than against us. :wink:

Of course the Sun supports them it is probably the most commonly read rag in the services...........They ain't stupid.

Done correctly the awards could be a good thing but I won't hold my breath.

"Millies" sounds stupid. I'm getting sick of serious things getting downgraded with stupid terms like that. Besides, it's The Sun. Fcuk that.

What makes it worse is that the MOD can't be arrsed to do it on its own. What does that say to the members of the Armed Forces the MOD should be supporting "We think you are all great but it is too difficult to do ourselves, we need the Scum's help".

The Scum does not support our Troops, it supports anything that will increase profits.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...odTeamsUpWithTheSunToLaunchMilitaryAwards.htm

Shiny

"Millies". A name designed to appeal to the sort of person who follows "Emmerdale Farm", "Neighbours" and "Big Brother", with a blank stare and a blob of dribble at the corner of their mouth.

Let them carry on. It won't influence any process even remotely associated with reality (except those processes which they want people to think have been influenced).

smartascarrots said:
There's already a poll on ArmyNET about it. Reasonably grown up too.

So service life now falls into the same 'entertainment' bracket as x-factor and big brother? with a cringing award ceremony for those 'lucky winners'
It will not mean much but at least it will show some do not like the idea..signed! FCUK OFF SCUM! :twisted: :twisted:

I have mixed feelings about this. The concept is undeniably flawed, "Best GMPG In A Supporting Role". FFS.
It is also undeniable that the business of any newspaper is to make money, that they disseminate 'news' in the process is just a means to an end.
However, these people can reach a large (and easily manipulated) readership, and occasionally may toss a bone our way. I cannot deny that this is demeaning, but have our armed forces not become used to being treated meanly by the government?
Last year, for Falkands 25, they ran a spread highlighting several cases of veterans still suffering PTSD, and liaised with Mark Knopfler to raise monies for (I think) Combat Stress. Like anything, that time has passed and with it the temporary high profile of Falklands vets and Combat Stress, though all parties still exist.
You don't (can't) agree with everything they print or do, but as they do seem to occasionally do some real good, I would baulk at alienating them completely. They may flip-flop between supporting / criticising the forces, but we have enough critics as it is, without encouraging others.

Cheap and tacky

Latest Threads