Petition to ban pubs and clubs from turning away servicemen/women.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Al_Adjnabi, Apr 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks,

A serving Booty mate of mine has asked me to put this on here. He's started a petition to prevent boozers from turning away servicemen and women, something that regularly happens where he's based, and something I'd imagine most people on here can identify with. One particular incident that sticks in my mind is being turned away from a club once because 'you're just going to join your mates in there and cause trouble - there's 30 pissed up squaddies in here already' (when we finally got in, we found the thirty pissed squaddies to be two Naval Officer Cadets in rig with their girlfriends...)

I hasten to add that no one is asking for preferential treatment, or anyone to bow down and kiss backsides - we're not arguing for special treatment and we don't think the world owes us a favour, we just want to be on an equal footing. I'm very well aware that we can be hooligans on the piss, but no more so than joe civvie, and we shouldn't be blanket banned on policy.

If any one feels like signing, the link is here: Ban Pubs and Clubs From Discriminating Against Armed Forces - e-petitions

Some local coverage here: Petition to stop discrimination | This is Exeter

Thanks.

2. Just curl out a poo on their front step.

And go to a club that wants your cash. Fcuk 'em. No one told them to be civvies.

3. I think you may need to get a life!

• Like Like x 2
  4. In nigh on 20 years, I've NEVER been turned away as a squadie...

Points to note.
    Don't go around in Plt strength.
    Don't go dress like a squadie.
    Don't have short hair.
    Don't draw attetion to ones self.
    Don't stay with the Bn drinking spacker. Lose them if they are likely to cause dramas later on.

Simples.

5. Does anyone really care?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Is it already the time of year when the "Squaddies get thrown out of pubs" shock horror stories start emerging ? its been going on a few years as Kipling demonstrates

TOMMY

by Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
    The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
    The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
    I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
    For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
    But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
    An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
    An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

BTW are the Navy 'considered serving men and women' . i thought they were a bunch of

• Like Like x 1
  7. I don't suppose so, no. To be honest, I expected these responses, but I'd hoped that it might generate another signature or two - I'll take that. You all make valid points, but what we're hoping to achieve is a situation where it's fine to get refused for being a drunken abusive twat, but not just for being a squaddie/bootie/matelot/crab.

Actually, I take that back. I wouldn't drink somewhere that tolerated crab air, either.

• Like Like x 1
  8. They reserve the right...

You will find large groups of lads/lasses often get turned away from pubs and clubs. And not just for being in the forces.

• Like Like x 1
  9. It looks like it. Actually, where I live, it goes back to the days of the football firms, when the local firm tasked new joiners with making a name for themselves by giving a Marine a good kicking. The watering holes at the time took the decision to ban Marines, as a simple solution. These days, it's less of an issue, but the old policy has stayed relatively in place. My mate didn't really see the point in sending a petition based just on where we live however, because it's not just a local problem.

10. To refuse service to anyone, for any reason. I know - I work in the trade. However, I'd rather that decision was made based on the behaviour of an individual, rather than a blanket policy.

11. Just invite bus loads of nurses on to camp and entertain them with a dance in the camp bar.

• Like Like x 1
  12. There are generations who served in BAOR/BFG still waiting for that busload...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Really?

Seems like he’s asking for boozers to waive their ‘right to refuse entry’ in the case of squaddies even though it applies to everyone currently. If that’s not special treatment, what is?

Getting turned away because groups of pissed-up young males are likely to cause a ruck or at least disturb the other customers is something that happens to lots of groups of pissed-up young males. Rugby clubs, students, football fans, they’ve all had it happen to them too.

It might be an idea for your mate to reflect on why that regularly happens where he’s based. Perhaps because there’s a large number of young males nearby who regularly get pissed-up and cause trouble in the local boozers?

14. If you live in a town where squaddies are renouned for causing trouble is it any wonder that we get tarred with the same brush and blanket banned? They are private establishments and can let in who they want.

15. I remember when Portsmouth's hooligan football outfit was called the "Portsmouth 657" - that was the time the train left Portsmouth for London

However British Rail as it was then changed the trains scheduled stops so everyone changed at Clapham Junction

The "Portsmouth 657, changing at Clapham Junction for all stops to London" didn't quite have the same ring to it

• Like Like x 1