petition the Prime Minister to Strengthen the Army

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by The_Borderer, May 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :D A petition worth signing, that is if anyone pays any attention at No10 :x

Tell Tony :1:

2. You must be joking - the first thing that the forces hating Broonatic will do is reduce the British force in Iraq then have another defence cut!

3. I assume it will go straight in the waste disposal

4. Signed. Doubtful of the effects of a petition in the wake of the Road Pricing one, but signed nonetheless.

5. Be careful about signing gents, this is what the originator goes on to add:

1) Ordering the development of a new tank type, as the current version's armour is too weak against explosives used by the Al-Qaeda, the Taleban and the Iraqi insurgents. Please name it Asquith, after Prime Minister Asquith, who was a good wartime leader, and should be honoured by naming a tank type after him just like Churchill was. 2) Ordering that the FV430 becomes the sole IFV/APC type used by the British Army, as it is lighter and faster than other vehicles currently used by the BA. There are 15 variants of the FV430, each designed for a different role, and these 15 variants would all perform their roles better than any other British or non-British armoured vehicles. Please also cancel the MRAV project. 3) Reverse your manpower cuts. 4) The SA80L85A2 5.45mm assault rifle should be replaced by the American M14 7.62mm rifle. It's a Vietnam war era gun, but the US military has began using it again, because American soldiers think it is a good weapon.

We can all agree with reversing the manpower cuts but the 430 Series are lighter an faster than the volcanic plug Edinburgh Castle sits on and thats about it.

Could be me getting paranoid but is this a state tool to cover the fact that they have not replaced the 430 series after 50 years of service ie 'well you guys petitioned us to keep them in service'

i'll get back in my box.

6. Is it a walt, or possibly someone who doesn't know much about the military, posting the petition, because they state that the SA80 is "5.45mm" which isn't the case?
    Also, the comment Re: Challenger? Is it really fair?

7. I would not mind signing a well thought out petition, but as stated above, all the suggestions are bonkers.

8. Perhaps we should petition the Army to strengthen the Prime Minister - would that work?

9. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Borderer,

Tell us you don't have anything to do with this?

Whoever wrote the text knows....... dick. :D