Petition for Remembrance Day Bank Holiday

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Jan 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Don't think I've seen this on any other thread, forgive me if it's been done already, but anyway, sign up please!

Number 10 Downing Street has approved a petition that was launched requesting a new public holiday falling on the Monday after Remembrance Sunday in November each year. To be known as the National Remembrance Holiday, it has three aims:

1. To emphasise the remembrance of those servicemen and women who have given, and continue to give, their lives for Britain.
    2. To remind people of the importance of protecting our Nation and what it stands for.
    3. To break that 3 month period between the August Public Holiday and Christmas when there are currently no long weekends, especially as the UK has fewer public holidays than most European Countries.
  2. Not a good idea in my mind, What will happen is that people will just see it as a long wekend and be going away for a cople of days so that less people attend the Remembrance Services.
    The ceremony should be returned to the 11th day 11th hour not the Sunday nearest.
    I don't disagree with the idea of a long weekend between August and Xmas but the 11th is ,IMHO, the wrong weekend.
  3. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Fair enough, that's your view.

I'd see it as an opportunity to put loads of programmes on the TV about the work our lads and lasses are doing, documentaries about medal winners and their heroism (as opposed to the 'heroism' of media muppets and footballers), programmes about all the conflicts in which we've been involved since 1945, interviews with cadets, service people, and of course re-runs of 'The Longest Day', 'The Cruel Sea', 'Cockleshell Heroes'.

I agree with you about the 11th, and think we should always have the 2 mins silence on that day, but accept that we can no longer stop the traffic and march to our memorials except on Sundays.
  4. I prefer to keep it as is - a dignified day with minimal distractions.

And I fear that, no matter how well intentioned, any changes would only get completely cocked up with focus groups, consultancies and media impact assessments before the government approved anything.
  5. I'm always game for another bank holiday, as already said it might loose it's importance if it were to go ahead
  6. There does seem to be a feeling that the day would loose something by making it a holiday,.. but with the state of education now will the children of tomorrow really understand without a day like this, plus bring back 11-11-11. As a country we should be proud and not try and hide our history and those that have paid the ultimate price. Let money making be put on hold to remember why we not under the rule of those that would not tolerate any sort of freedom.
  7. No, No, No NO!!!!!

Give another day off so Wayne and Waynetta Chav can go out and get canned on White Lightning? Pizzorf.

Close all Businesses and trade and only have essential services (not fecking Tesco et al) running on Remembrance Sunday? Yes Please.

An honourable exception would be made for the RBL bars of course.....
  8. ****ing right, i've signed the petition.
  9. Why not? Why shouldn't we stop the traffic, why shouldn't we make it a crime for anyone over the age of 10 to make a noise for those 2 mins once a year, why do you accept it?

Same reason as lots of things are accepted I suppose.