Petition for Monarchy to abdicate as head of state or throne

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Trick, Apr 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was alerted to this by the British Humanist Association's facebook page (but there is nothing on their official site, so I assume it's not come from them). I'm sure it'll ruffle a few feathers here, but it is an interesting question, can a head of state be partisan openly in a democracy?
    FB link
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=633180029&v=feed&story_fbid=71661940951#/pages/British-Humanist-Association/26806660922?ref=nf
    Petition link
    http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=160803035073&h=PLVZV&u=uzoFx&ref=nf

2. A lot of these people on this site have sworn an oath to defend the Queen and her sucessors.

Including me.

So jog on.

3. My post was more aimed at debating whether the Monarch should be the head of C of E or not.

4. That was hardly the question you asked. Why would anyone think that would be the case if you're mentioning it in the context of the humanist society - can't imagine they're all that bothered about the interests of the Church of England. Shall we start again? Or not bother. Yes. Lets do that one.

5. Your post quite clearly implies the question of whether she should abdicate or not.
    I also swore an oath to QEII and whilst I am not serving anymore the oath still applies.

No, she should not abdicate.

6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Nope - next!

And some kind soul Hole this - it is pointless.

7. As the second option would be an act of treason I suggest his hands would be tied somewhat, why don't we turn it on its head, petition HMQ to relieve the PM of his duties, lets see which gets more signatures.

8. Smells of Treason to me. Can someone hunt him down - country is in damned good need of a hanging, drawing and quartering if you ask me.

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

No, I'm in agreement here. What we need is Gordon Brown or Tony Blair as 'Life President'. I do believe that Tone reckons he should be head of state, head of the EU and the boss of the church (yes, all the churches).

I'm sure that would be preferable, and far better for the wealth it would bring in to this cou . . . . . oh, bugger, that's not going to work is it!?

10. HRH PoW may well wish to relinquish head of the CoE if he becomes King, after all he sees himself as a defender of faiths rather than just the one faith.

11. Agreed. Now Charles on the other hand...

12. That isn't a petition... it is a list of throbbers.

13. ... is a harmless man who talks to his flowers...

14. I'm surprised it has not been done already.

15. The actual petition title

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Relieve the monarch of one of the duties: EITHER as Head of the Church of England, OR as Head of State

I hope that makes it a **** sight more obvious? Abdication is NOT mentioned.