Petition for Monarchy to abdicate as head of state or throne

harareboy99 said:
A lot of these people on this site have sworn an oath to defend the Queen and her sucessors.

Including me.

So jog on.
My post was more aimed at debating whether the Monarch should be the head of C of E or not.

That was hardly the question you asked. Why would anyone think that would be the case if you're mentioning it in the context of the humanist society - can't imagine they're all that bothered about the interests of the Church of England. Shall we start again? Or not bother. Yes. Lets do that one.

Trick said:
harareboy99 said:
A lot of these people on this site have sworn an oath to defend the Queen and her sucessors.

Including me.

So jog on.
My post was more aimed at debating whether the Monarch should be the head of C of E or not.
Your post quite clearly implies the question of whether she should abdicate or not.
I also swore an oath to QEII and whilst I am not serving anymore the oath still applies.

No, she should not abdicate.

Nope - next!

And some kind soul Hole this - it is pointless.

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Relieve the monarch of one of the duties: EITHER as Head of the Church of England, OR as Head of State.
As the second option would be an act of treason I suggest his hands would be tied somewhat, why don't we turn it on its head, petition HMQ to relieve the PM of his duties, lets see which gets more signatures.

Smells of Treason to me. Can someone hunt him down - country is in damned good need of a hanging, drawing and quartering if you ask me.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
No, I'm in agreement here. What we need is Gordon Brown or Tony Blair as 'Life President'. I do believe that Tone reckons he should be head of state, head of the EU and the boss of the church (yes, all the churches).

I'm sure that would be preferable, and far better for the wealth it would bring in to this cou . . . . . oh, bugger, that's not going to work is it!?

LancePrivateJones said:
Trick said:
harareboy99 said:

Including me.

So jog on.
Your post quite clearly implies the question of whether she should abdicate or not.
I also swore an oath to QEII and whilst I am not serving anymore the oath still applies.

Agreed. Now Charles on the other hand...

parapauk said:
LancePrivateJones said:
Trick said:
harareboy99 said:

Including me.

So jog on.

Agreed. Now Charles on the other hand...
... is a harmless man who talks to his flowers...

The actual petition title

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Relieve the monarch of one of the duties: EITHER as Head of the Church of England, OR as Head of State

I hope that makes it a **** sight more obvious? Abdication is NOT mentioned.

Is this thread for real?

'parapuke' chips in of course with his vomit inducing effluent.

I remind certain honourable posters that the Oath of Allegiance includes:

'..... Heirs and Successors......'.

The words 'Heirs' and 'Successors' are quite lengthy for a lame brain such as you 'parapuke' but they encompass, amongst others, HRH The Prince of Wales.

Only in favour of the Monarchy as the alternative would be tedious in its implementation and most of the present lot dont really deserve shooting.
I know I took the oath dosent mean I am not entitled to an opinion.

Thing is, PTP, I rather think that the petitioner has read that Sue Townsend book where HMQ is sacked and shunted off to a council estate, and didn't pay attention during his 'Our Unwritten Constitution' GCSE...

From what I can recall of teaching this stuff over a decade ago, the PM can only 'relieve' the monarch of her duties as head of state by (a) an act of treason or (b) legislation to appoint a Regent or similar, on the grounds of the monarch being unfit or (c) primary legislation, which would require the Royal Assent at the end of it. It would, in essence, require abdication in all but name, since the sovereign, by giving Assent, would be bringing her/his reign to an end

However, if the monarch were to turn round and say (quite legitimately) "this was not a manifesto commitment, therefore, I do not give assent" to the Bill, the PM would have to either (a) shrug shoulders and crack on or (b) hold an election, with - in effect - the transformation of the UK into a republic at the heart of his manifesto. This could be problematic, to put it mildly, particularly if the number of people in favour of HMQ outnumber those who support the sentiment of the petition...

The PM cannot relieve the monarch of duties of head of the CofE, as simply as the petitioner seems to suggest either.

What the PM can do - and what the petitioner, if he'd bothered to think for about 35 seconds should've petitioned for, because No.10's response is going to be to say that they can do nothing because it is not in the PM's power to remove the monarch as head of state - is legislate for the diestablishment of the CofE.

There is a chance that Charles (assuming that he's not so dotty by the time HMQ passes on that we have William as Regent) would happily agree to this anyway. What the petitioner has done, in essence, is to waste bandwith with a petition which has as much chance of success - assuming the normal constitutional precedents are followed - as a petition calling for the creation of a British space programme to send Simon Cowell to Jupiter.

Anyone thinking of avocationg the Queen to abdicate opens the door to a possible Blair presidency.

That should be enough to quash that idea for another 100 years.

Next.......

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jash OTC and ACF 21
Iamagoldfish OTC and ACF 60
wHoSaIdThAt? Current Affairs, News and Analysis 0