Petition for a Sikh regiment within the British Army

Be careful what you ask for. Sounds good in principle, but in practice it is devisive. All HSChaggar said in is post in the related thread was that his service would be conditional. As he is a British Citizen, his notion is as ridiculous as a potential recruit saying they would only serve in a CofE Battalion.

sanchauk said:
Be careful what you ask for. Sounds good in principle, but in practice it is devisive. All HSChaggar said in is post in the related thread was that his service would be conditional.
Conditional can mean many things, given the Sikhs track record in serving the Crown I think any conditions would be perfectly acceptable.

Fine if you are recruiting from a different country, a la Gurkhas. But we are not talking about that are we? We are talking about British Citizens.

sanchauk said:
Be careful what you ask for. Sounds good in principle, but in practice it is devisive. All HSChaggar said in is post in the related thread was that his service would be conditional. As he is a British Citizen, his notion is as ridiculous as a potential recruit saying they would only serve in a CofE Battalion.
I'd disagree with that mate, Mr Chaggar makes the point that having experienced what he thought was discrimination it made him think twice. How many other potential recruits who are as patriotic as you and me are missing out on the opportunity to serve their country because of perceived discrimination? Would Gurkhas be happy serving as individuals in line regiments? Probably not but we wouldn't want to be without them.

Gordon could even call it his plan for an Army of "all the talents".

Anything that can be done to get them in should be done and a Sikh unit drawing from the Sikh community is no different from a county regiment drawing from it's local area.

Plus if we had a Sikh regiment and suddenly needed lots more troops, a few phone calls to cousins back in the Sub-continent and voila, 1st Sikh Division!

Good luck to them imho.

FFS we let the Welsh join! :D

sanchauk said:
Fine if you are recruiting from a different country, a la Gurkhas. But we are not talking about that are we? We are talking about British Citizens.

If a religious minority within the UK, with a proven history of loyalty to the Crown, believes that it can fully recruit at least one Regiment (AND HAS OFFERED!!) with a character representative of that minority. I am all for it, given that we are engaged in a thirty years War we do not have the luxury of refusing such an asset.

There is absolutely no correlation to Gurkhas. If the British Citizens who are Sihks are so warry and patriotic, now would be the time to join, without conditions of service being different from any other Brit who joins up.

sanchauk said:
There is absolutely no correlation to Gurkhas. If the British Citizens who are Sihks are so warry and patriotic, now would be the time to join, without conditions of service being different from any other Brit who joins up.
So your saying that the Paras and RM should be spread around standard regiments and lose their special status?

sanchauk said:
Granted it's not the same thing, however there is an existing and lapsed tradition of Sikh regiments serving HMG so what's your beef?

No-ones talking about different conditions of service it's about a unit identity that they can all feel comfortable getting behind. Not trying to be a d*ck mate I just genuinely don't get your objection.

Of course and while we are at it lets have a Muslim regiment, a Hindu regiment, Jedi regiment, then when we have those lets have a black only regiment, Then the army will have no more more recruiting problems.
Sikhs along with all other religions/races are not any more or less important than anyone else.
They had segragation in the American army once and it wasn't the best decision ever made.

sanchauk said:
What a ridiculous analogy.
So are you signing the petition or what?

My objection isn't against a Sikh regiment per se. I admit it would a marvelous sight. However, when you accomodate one minority it sets a precident for others. Anyone fancy a Muslim only Regiment, or a Catholic only Regiment?

Sihks are British citizens, and as such there religion is irrelevant in recruiting. If they want to fight as friends, then the same aformentioned network can spread the word to all apply to one regiment.

I must admit to being a might puzzeled. Scottish regiments, Welsh regiments and county regiments, yes but none affiliated to a specific religion (even RC/Protestant serve in same regiments in Scotland and Ireland). Will there be a CofE regiment, Jewish regiment etc. By all means form a body to join but beware of faith being the driving factor. The Gurkhas have a mixed faith approach but serve as Gurkhas. Why not just join your local regiment/corp. If you are a Scots Sikh join a Scots regiment.

You are all missing the point.

Raising a new Rgt. will cost money, lots of money. MOD will bandy about ideas about intergration and stuff but it just doesn't have the cash. If a new Sikh Rgt. is raised it will be at the expense of an established one.

I don't want to see my Rgt dispanded or amalgumated, let alone turned in to one I can't join on grounds of faith. Something that the hippies in Euro land won't let happen any way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jash OTC and ACF 21
Iamagoldfish OTC and ACF 60
wHoSaIdThAt? Current Affairs, News and Analysis 0