Petition against protesters

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ishmale89, Mar 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

One of the reasons (amongst many) that I joined up was to prtotect the right to the freedoms that this country has, including of speech. If they broke the law they should be arrested, but we should not create a law to stop them. That way leads dictatorship - perhaps a law to prevent protest against government, the prime minister?

2. Absolutely - I would be more inclined to sign a petition allowing the protests - yes they are distastful, insensitive and misguided but the lads they protest against have just risked life and limb to protect that right - the right to be misguided and plain wrong but a sacred right nonetheless

3. If they were inclined to, the authorities could have had them arrested for public order offences.
    It is telling that they chose not to.

4. Also the guys being insulted and protested against, don't have the right to speak for themselves. Somebody has to do it for them, so maybe that is why it needs to be stopped some way.

5. The right of lawful protest does not need to be stopped otherwise one day it'll be you. As for being insulted, I've been insulted by real experts before as have most on here, that piffling display was rank amateurism.

6. One of the admirable things about our democracy is freedom of expression (other than incitement to violence) which has already suffered more than enough encroachment under the present government. I'm not going to let a minority of rabid nutters change my views or lead to bans which could be manipulated to stifle justified protest. Better to let the authorities monitor them and, if necessary, counter them instead of driving them underground. It also means they can be subjected to the full scorn and ridicule they deserve.