Peter Robinson to continue as NI First Minister

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Tax_Tw-t, May 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

It's the snout/trough interface. You try standing in the way.

BTW I can't see anything in our constitution that either allows or disallows this - there again when I asked if WH Smiths had a copy that I could buy, they said "no".

2. Rarely is it possible for a politician to make Gordon Brown look like a legitimate office holder.

3. 'He's neither an MP nor an MLA. Not even an MEP ("spit!").
    How is that even remotely workable? Or, for that matter, legal/constitutional?'

The words Lord and Mandelson and Baroness and Scotland (amongst many others) come to mind. How about Alastair and Campbell?

4. But that's because the Westminster Parliament, unlike the Scots one or the Assemblies is, to use the pretentious word, bicameral. And, offensive gits that they are, all bar Campbell were legitimately appointed to the House of Lords (I was going to say 'legitimate members of ..." but stopped myself in time!)

5. Nah, wasn't that just a rotten borough?

Edited to add: Okay, Dunny-on-the-Wold first, then enobled by Prince George. My bad.

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Welcome to politics 101,Norn Iron stylee!

7. This is the bloke who's wife was playing away and diverting funds into her toyboys business venture, right?

8. Yup and she resigned as MP and MLA - he got booted out, as MP, last Friday.

9. Oh yeah... :oops:

Move along please, nothing to see here. Well, not much, except a dodgy politician not getting re-elected but not then getting dumped by his party from the executive position he should have resigned from months ago.

Not unconstitutional then, just not particularly clean/decent/honourable/dignified/other adjectives he'd be unfamiliar with.

10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

He's a politician - those words never apply

11. From Wikipedia:

Expenses row
    In April 2009, both Iris and Peter Robinson came under fire after Commons MPs' expenses accounts were leaked to the press. The couple were described as the "swish family Robinson" by the News of the World and Daily Mail after claims that they were receiving £571,939.41 a year in various salaries and expenses,[50] with a further £150,000 in salaries being paid to four of the couple's family members.[51]

It's fooking disgrace, the wife (Iris) claimed £300 in Expenses for a Fountain Pen.

[​IMG]