Peter Moore

That is good news. Lots of politicking been going on over this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8435075.stm

British hostage Peter Moore has been released alive from captivity in Iraq, the Foreign Office has said.

Mr Moore, an IT consultant from Lincoln, was seized at the Iraqi Ministry of Finance in Baghdad in May 2007.

Three fellow guards seized at the same time were later shot dead and their bodies flown back to the UK.

Alan McMenemy, a security guard from Glasgow, is understood to remain a hostage in Iraq.

Good news but still one more to go. Lets not forget the three that didn't get back alive.

SalemSaberhagen said:
Great news :D

Now lets sit back and watch cyclops and co take credit for his release and throw things at the TV in disgust :x :x
Must be a right laugh at your house, I can imagine the furore over breakfast when you realise youve run out of milk, you screaming loudly at the sky cursing the PM then throwing darts violently all morning at A4 pictures of half the cabinet members

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Juan_Ramirez_III said:
SalemSaberhagen said:
Great news :D

Now lets sit back and watch cyclops and co take credit for his release and throw things at the TV in disgust :x :x
Must be a right laugh at your house, I can imagine the furore over breakfast when you realise youve run out of milk, you screaming loudly at the sky cursing the PM then throwing darts violently all morning at A4 pictures of half the cabinet members
Why only half?

Hello,

the Foreign Secretary appears to be choosing his words very carefully:

"The British Government does not make substantive concessions to hostage takers, anywhere and any place, and there was no such substantive concession in this case," he stressed.
From here:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK...749_British_Hostage_Peter_Moore_Freed_In_Iraq

One can't help but wonder what insubstantive concessions were made and whether those concessions might have resulted in happier outcomes for others had they been made earlier.

tangosix

tangosix said:
Hello,

the Foreign Secretary appears to be choosing his words very carefully:

"The British Government does not make substantive concessions to hostage takers, anywhere and any place, and there was no such substantive concession in this case," he stressed.
From here:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK...749_British_Hostage_Peter_Moore_Freed_In_Iraq

One can't help but wonder what insubstantive concessions were made and whether those concessions might have resulted in happier outcomes for others had they been made earlier.

tangosix
I must admit, my first thought was, "Nice to hear some GOOD news for a change!" :D

"I wonder what this bloke's freedom cost, and who paid?" followed with indecent haste... :oops:

Mr Moore was kidnapped by a Shia militia, leaning towards Iran.
Iran is currently in the news for all the wrong reasons, and is complaining about the Western and particularly the BBC coverage.
Suddenly, there is a good news story. I smell a concession. The Iranians broker his release, in exchange for less BBC coverage of the Iranian opposition.

Or I might need to go an polish my tinfoil hat.

Peter Moore released, New year celebrations in the news. Call me a cynic but keep your eyes open for some smuggeled news story to slip under the Moore radar

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Is he the first man in the history of hostage taking to actually put weight on?

They gave him a telly, a play station and a laptop whilst in captivity allegedly, I'm not convinced by the held in Iran story. It sounds more like any UK young offenders center. Non the less he's a lucky man.