Peter Hitchen on Dyslexic doctors

#1
Found in the Sunday Mail this weekend, I was frankly insulted at his attitude. I can't believe this sort of trash would be allowed to be published!

Any other thoughts?

A doctor with dyslexia? We'll laugh one day

A medical student, Naomi Gadian, says she is being discriminated against in her exams because she is ‘dyslexic’. I think she has impaled herself on a very interesting fork.

If ‘dyslexia’ really exists, then surely it is quite reasonable for the authorities to forbid sufferers from practising as doctors, where a written mistake in a prescription or a misreading of a dose could be disastrous.

Such ‘discrimination’, like a lot of other discrimination, is not only reasonable but urgently necessary.
If, on the other hand, ‘dyslexia’ is a fancy name for not being able to read properly, then it can be fixed by a decent phonics course, and Miss Gadian can pass her exams and be a competent doctor we can all trust not to dose us accidentally into the grave, or remove the wrong organ.

Does dyslexia exist? I have always become pretty ‘dyslexic’ when confronted with the novels of Salman Rushdie. Funnily enough, the trouble vanishes when I switch to other authors.

I suspect it’s a mixture of boredom and bad teaching, and will make our great-grandchildren laugh like anything, much as we laugh at spiritualist mediums and the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
 
#2
Does dyslexia exist? BTW, it's Peter Hitchens, not Peter Hitchen.

The civvie GPs I have seen have been so pisspoor that I doubt dyslexia, if it indeed exists, would have been much of an extra burden.
 
#3
Usually his work is very good, but sometimes you need to write an article that pisses people off, I reckon that is whay we have here.
 
#4
King_of_the_Burpas said:
BTW, it's Peter Hitchens, not Peter Hitchen.
My apologies, however I am not one for reading that rag so not 100% on all their names. But hey ho, he does not have the first idea about things around him so I am not really that sorry for messing up his name. Maybe he'll break a leg and get prescribed 10,000ml of fentanyl by a dyslexic anesthetist.... never know your luck!
 
#5
Bigdumps said:
Usually his work is very good, but sometimes you need to write an article that pisses people off, I reckon that is whay we have here.
Does dyslexia exist? Hmm
 
#6
I believe his nickname in journalism circles is Peter "barking mad" Hitchens. He's a fundamentalist christian slightly to the right of Genghis Khan and if he was Muslim the sun would be demanding his arrest. I wouldn't pay too much attention to him. I do however read his trash page as for the comedy value.
 
#7
Peter Hitchens is A Good Thing: the thinking man's Jeremy Clarkson. Always provocative, sometimes a 'dung trumpet', I'll agree, but always interesting.
 
#8
King_of_the_Burpas said:
Bigdumps said:
Usually his work is very good, but sometimes you need to write an article that pisses people off, I reckon that is whay we have here.
Does dyslexia exist? Hmm
No, and neither does any other form of autism, or maybe any other neurological condition you can't physically see straight away.
 
#11
No worse than having a doctor or nurse who only has a basic grasp of the English language and I've come across a few of them in my time.
 
#12
King_of_the_Burpas said:
Bigdumps said:
Usually his work is very good, but sometimes you need to write an article that pisses people off, I reckon that is whay we have here.
Does dyslexia exist? Hmm
Yes, I'm pretty sure most people who have acquired dyslexia after a head trauma provide sufficient evidence to suggest it does indeed exist. It's also a symptom of many organic neurological conditions, such as dementia.

So from that, it is now probably quite easy to grasp that as dyslexia is the result of organic damage (in say, the magnocellular pathway, which may impair the visual processing of symbols such as letters), then it stands to reason people can be born with dyslexia, considering all aberrations or nature are possible .

Unless, I suppose, PH would rather believe that our ability to process words and language is not because of an intrinsically engineered biologically based system, but magic :roll: .
 
#13
amazing__lobster said:
King_of_the_Burpas said:
Bigdumps said:
Usually his work is very good, but sometimes you need to write an article that pisses people off, I reckon that is whay we have here.
Does dyslexia exist? Hmm
Yes, I'm pretty sure most people who have acquired dyslexia after a head trauma provide sufficient evidence to suggest it does indeed exist. It's also a symptom of many organic neurological conditions, such as dementia.

So from that, it is now probably quite easy to grasp that as dyslexia is the result of organic damage (in say, the magnocellular pathway, which may impair the visual processing of symbols such as letters), then it stands to reason people can be born with dyslexia, considering all aberrations or nature are possible .

Unless, I suppose, PH would rather believe that our ability to process words and language is not because of an intrinsically engineered biologically based system, but magic :roll: .
Interesting. There is a genetic component to this. boys are more likely to be dyslexic and it tends to run in families.

While I agree that it seems a little worrying to have a dyslexic doctor (I cannot remember the names of things or people), if she is able to pass her exams with the condition, she would need to be significantly smarter than most med students. (a genereally smart bunch).
 
#14
tothepubandbeyond said:
I believe his nickname in journalism circles is Peter "barking mad" Hitchens. He's a fundamentalist christian slightly to the right of Genghis Khan and if he was Muslim the sun would be demanding his arrest. I wouldn't pay too much attention to him. I do however read his trash page as for the comedy value.
Yes the quite barking Ex Trotskyist and as with most born again anything now shines with the fevor of a convert.

I believe he is still mentalist against his brother 'Christopher' and would dearly love to watch the edition of Question Time that had them both on.
 
#15
SkiCarver said:
amazing__lobster said:
King_of_the_Burpas said:
Bigdumps said:
Usually his work is very good, but sometimes you need to write an article that pisses people off, I reckon that is whay we have here.
Does dyslexia exist? Hmm
Yes, I'm pretty sure most people who have acquired dyslexia after a head trauma provide sufficient evidence to suggest it does indeed exist. It's also a symptom of many organic neurological conditions, such as dementia.

So from that, it is now probably quite easy to grasp that as dyslexia is the result of organic damage (in say, the magnocellular pathway, which may impair the visual processing of symbols such as letters), then it stands to reason people can be born with dyslexia, considering all aberrations or nature are possible .

Unless, I suppose, PH would rather believe that our ability to process words and language is not because of an intrinsically engineered biologically based system, but magic :roll: .
Interesting. There is a genetic component to this. boys are more likely to be dyslexic and it tends to run in families.

While I agree that it seems a little worrying to have a dyslexic doctor (I cannot remember the names of things or people), if she is able to pass her exams with the condition, she would need to be significantly smarter than most med students. (a genereally smart bunch).
Those who are dyslexic are often smarter than many around them. They just don´t appear so because we base are opinions of someones intelligence on how they write or read.

My Mrs is dyselexic, and has been IQ tested at some high level. I don´t really trust IQ tests, as again they tend to be biased to those who have certain educations.

But she can read a book (Harry Potter and the order of the Pheonix for example) in about 5 hours. When writing a letter she can spell a word 5 different ways for 5 different times. Thank god for spell checker!!!

And she can´ttell Left from Right or work out timings. Again all things linked to dyselexia.
 
#16
King_of_the_Burpas said:
Bigdumps said:
Usually his work is very good, but sometimes you need to write an article that pisses people off, I reckon that is whay we have here.
Does dyslexia exist? Hmm
Yes its not particularly fun but can be overcome, however as with any condition it has degrees of effect and also can like a pie eater with a biffchit be used to get out of CFT's but like a pie eater with a biff chit, fakers stick out like a sore thumb.
 
#17
Narcissus said:
I can't believe this sort of trash would be allowed to be published!

Tis the Daily hate after all.

For a Christian Funadamentalist he is quite humorous.


"Does dyslexia exist? I have always become pretty ‘dyslexic’ when confronted with the novels of Salman Rushdie. Funnily enough, the trouble vanishes when I switch to other authors."


"If ‘dyslexia’ really exists, then surely it is quite reasonable for the authorities to forbid sufferers from practising as doctors, where a written mistake in a prescription or a misreading of a dose could be disastrous."

You're not allowed to be a Sparky if you're colour blind. Is it the same?
I don't really think so but I only know two dyslexics and both seem to be aware when they have spelt something wrong. One however can spell dyslexic which she is rightly proud of. I guess like all things there are varying levels of dyslexia?
 
#18
chocolate_frog said:
SkiCarver said:
amazing__lobster said:
King_of_the_Burpas said:
Bigdumps said:
Usually his work is very good, but sometimes you need to write an article that pisses people off, I reckon that is whay we have here.
Does dyslexia exist? Hmm
Yes, I'm pretty sure most people who have acquired dyslexia after a head trauma provide sufficient evidence to suggest it does indeed exist. It's also a symptom of many organic neurological conditions, such as dementia.

So from that, it is now probably quite easy to grasp that as dyslexia is the result of organic damage (in say, the magnocellular pathway, which may impair the visual processing of symbols such as letters), then it stands to reason people can be born with dyslexia, considering all aberrations or nature are possible .

Unless, I suppose, PH would rather believe that our ability to process words and language is not because of an intrinsically engineered biologically based system, but magic :roll: .
Interesting. There is a genetic component to this. boys are more likely to be dyslexic and it tends to run in families.

While I agree that it seems a little worrying to have a dyslexic doctor (I cannot remember the names of things or people), if she is able to pass her exams with the condition, she would need to be significantly smarter than most med students. (a genereally smart bunch).
Those who are dyslexic are often smarter than many around them. They just don´t appear so because we base are opinions of someones intelligence on how they write or read.

My Mrs is dyselexic, and has been IQ tested at some high level. I don´t really trust IQ tests, as again they tend to be biased to those who have certain educations.

But she can read a book (Harry Potter and the order of the Pheonix for example) in about 5 hours. When writing a letter she can spell a word 5 different ways for 5 different times. Thank god for spell checker!!!

And she can´ttell Left from Right or work out timings. Again all things linked to dyselexia.

Yeah, my missus is the same, can read a book in a night and when writing can change the way she spells certain words several times, but also has the neatest handwriting. Me on the other hand, well i'm pretty good at writing, rarely get anything wrong but my handwriting is like a shaky 5 year olds :(
 
#19
Dyslexia has been a convenient label to apply to various recruits (and I imagine other people) with problems. The only people who I've met who loudly proclaim they are dyslexic (or have it broadcast on their behalf) have just so happened to be thicker than a whale omlette. I do understand the condition exists and that people genuinely suffer with it, that said there are many people who use it as an excuse, or are given it to use as an excuse for being fucking stupid.

One recruit was unable to get the correct uniform on, somehow it was his dyslexia that caused him to get a 2's shirt on with CS95. Unless dslexia actually means 'terminally thick' then it isn't the fault of dyslexia.

here endeth the rant.
 
#20
Peter Hitchens: Wasn't the barking mad, turn-coat cnut once a Trotskyist? And indeed, card carrying member of the Liarboar Party who, once helped campaign for Red Ken Livingstone?

Why yes! Yes he was...
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top