Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Pet hates...

therealbigdizzle said:
FFAGrimReaper said:
Not so much a pet hate but: I dislike the fact that ACF and CCF officers never need to see the gates of Sandhurst.

Being a CCF officer myself i sorely feel this loss - and I think it'd teach a great deal more, to go there for 2 weeks as opposed to a week spent a Frimley. Is this just because I'm an ex-cadet and have the fieldcraft basics down?

Grim

it's not a week. it's 2 weekends.

Uh no, really - it's a week at Frimley

walting_matilda said:
I hate:

1. the constant battle between ACF and CCF. For Fcuk sake, isn't it the same organisation?

2. Old AIs "In my day we used to kick Fcuk out of the cadets when they messed up.

3. Old AIs " The kids are 15 - 16, we can treat them like junior soldiers.

4. Old AIs " Kids just go sick for no reason other than to urine me off"

5. Everybody expecting you to know everything without being told it.

6. Having to hunt and call the world just to get passed on to someone else who doesnt know the answer.

My Bold - lets just say I had all of my enthusiasm for the job kicked out of me on my first annual camp because of that one and the 10 bollockings I received on the first day there because the officers ran a need to know basis, as a PI I didn't need to know but was expected to know!

gb

I think we can basically sum most of these us as:

1. People acting unprofessionaly in a professional (and sometimes potentially dangerous) environment.

Grim

Rabbits.

They're the pet I hate the most - the only species so far to growl at me and try to bite my fingers off.

(I'm not sure WOs count as a species, but I don't hate them - they can't help it and it's expected behaviour; in fact, it's almost cute - "Ahh, would you look at the way he's foaming at the mouth and his face is a lovely shade of red, to be sure")

FFAGrimReaper said:
I think we can basically sum most of these us as:

1. People acting unprofessionaly in a professional (and sometimes potentially dangerous) environment.

Grim

80% of the neurologists I've had the unpleasure of dealing with (the degree of illogicality and ignorance I've encountered is astounding)

SLS1179 said:
therealbigdizzle said:
FFAGrimReaper said:
Not so much a pet hate but: I dislike the fact that ACF and CCF officers never need to see the gates of Sandhurst.

Being a CCF officer myself i sorely feel this loss - and I think it'd teach a great deal more, to go there for 2 weeks as opposed to a week spent a Frimley. Is this just because I'm an ex-cadet and have the fieldcraft basics down?

Grim

uh no, really - it's 2 weekends. a friend just did it. IAB, then ITC, then 'CFCB' of 2 weekends, then like magic she's an officer.

therealbigdizzle said:
SLS1179 said:
therealbigdizzle said:
FFAGrimReaper said:

Grim

uh no, really - it's 2 weekends. a friend just did it. IAB, then ITC, then 'CFCB' of 2 weekends, then like magic she's an officer.

I think you are talking about different things.

It is a weekend selection to be an officer (CFCB at AOSB) this is usually preceded by a County / Area Pre selection Weekend (to weed out the mongs) hence your friend doing 2 weekends to be an officer.

What Grim is saying (I think) is that it would be nice once you are an officer to do a week or two and Sandhurst to learn HOW to be an officer in addition to the AI's courses that you do at Frimley.

As a mindless bit of trivia I think that ACF officers used to go to Sandhurst for a week or so but this practice has sadly stopped. I for one would like to have some Sandhurst time behind me when I get the pip up!

SB

Back when I was a cadet, I used to hate it when the AIs would make you play insanely stupid games, and call them command tasks, like finding the bad tasting banana with your eyes closed. This has never helped me with my military career and I cant see how it eer would.

Yes I'm already a CCF officer, but I havn'ty done Frimley yet. (Which is a 1 week course I assure you 6 days to be precise).

But I'd really like to go to Sandhurst instead of CTC Frimley. Or even on-top of the Frimley course.

It's be really excellent!

It's a great shame that isn't practiced anymore in my opinion.

another hate: Officers who are in fact school teachers "knowing best" over their SSI's who were in the regulars for longer than most of their cadets have been alive...

Grim

Why do all the officers and Pot officers here think they need to go to Sandhurst, What is wrong with how it is done now basically all the AI's regardless of rank gain the same qualification to do the same job. Fair enough a weekend selection for CFCB but there is absolutely no need to go to Sandhurst to run a cadet detachment.

Most detachment's in the county I am an AI with are run perfectly well with SNCO's, with never an officer in sight.

We need to remember that we are youth leaders and nothing more, and out badges only represent the position we hold within that youth organisation, and do not confer any authority on us.

good post Zippy

Sandhurst is for training officers to lead soldiers, not lead Cadets. Frimley is the home of teaching people to lead cadets, so in my eyes there is no place better to run such a course.

It does create confusion though I think for serving soldiers as to what position ACF / CCF officers hold within the army, and when / where to salute etc; as they haven't been to Sandhurst and what not.