ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Pet cat shot and badly injured - anyone know the law around this?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by 2/51, Oct 12, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cat has been shot with a 22 hunting rifle causing significant damage to its front right shoulder and chest.

The person who I believe did it is temporarily looking after a shooting syndicates ground at the back of the house. The cat does wander, but is known to the syndicate members and organiser. It also has a large, fluorescent yellow collar to show its a domestic pet, not one of the barn cats from the farm.

Whilst I fully appreciate cats can take small birds etc, I am concerned that the person in question is shooting close to the house (and road) and may even being firing into our garden. I think, after seeing the damage to the cat, it is unlikely is would have been able to move any great distance after being shot.

Just wondering the legal implications in view of the use of a firearm in this instance.

Cheers

2. I think... that if it was shot on your land you've got him bang to rights. So to speak. Likewise if it was within 50 feet (?) of a public highway.
    But if it was on his land he's got the right to shoot trespassing animals - otherwise farmers wouldn't be allowed to shoot pigeons, foxes and other vermin nor dogs worrying sheep.
    And cats hunt birds, my uncle had to shoot a cat that kept coming after pheasant chicks. He didn't like it but it had to be done.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Protected under the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

Animal Welfare Act 2006

You will have difficulty proving it unless he admits it.

You’d be better off shoving his gun up his arse where it belongs.

• Like Like x 17
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

And pulling the trigger.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ahem. Squeezing.

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 6
  6. Gently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

No no. Jerk it. Fúcking hard. Let him feel every sharp edge of the foresight first.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. You'll miss. Guaranteed.

• Funny Funny x 6
  9. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Go and raise merry hell. The shooting syndicate won’t like it. Send letters, no green ink. To local paper. Radio station, MP, council. Not emails, they don’t read those.
    Letters, nice envelope, wrteen and spelt like a grown up. Nobody gets letters anymore and usually open anything which doesn’t look like a bill.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Hopefully his rifle will be a bit like this.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

******* cats are a nightmare in an urban scenario, our keeper has no end of drama with the cats from the big house. When I keepered we disposed of anything caught in the traps in true Mc Cann style. That said the ******* evil things are protected, just not very well.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

You could go nuclear - report him to the RSPCA.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ah
    Those bastions of evidence and financial probity. I tried getting them out once. I obviously was marked down as not having made a donation the Nazis with no authority!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. So he reloads and has another go.
    Frequently.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Your last sentence is priceless.:)

• Funny Funny x 1