Personality Disorder?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Steviee, Nov 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. What's up everyone. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I'm an American who served in the Regular U.S Army for a year before being discharged due to an apparent Personality Disorder. My discharge was Honorable, but the code was RE-4 which means 'Not recommended for Re-Enlistment.' Therefore if I tried joining the American Army again, I couldn't.

    I was discharged in 2003, and since then, well, married a British girl, became a British citizen, and now we're looking for an extra income, so I would like to join the TA. My question is will my prior foreign service hinder me from doing so? Some background I had never been diagnosed with a personality disorder previously. Pretty much I hated the sound of my roomates snoring, and would sleep out on the catwalk to avoid it. When we were in the field I'd take my sack away from formation at night to get away from it, missed firewatch one time because my squad couldn't find me in the dark, and my 1st SGT recommended that I be put through for separation. I have never seen anyone in the civilian world regarding a 'personality disorder.' Never taken any meds, have worked normal jobs, and well being married broke me into the getting used to what's the deal?

    Is this even something I'd have to disclose to a recruiter? I'm sure it's something they'd want to know, but may send red flags. Being in the US Army I heard many cases of guys being denied for answering a certain question, then drove to a recruiter in the next town, said, "no" on whatever it was, then they were in. Therefore, how much of a background check does the TA do? I have my DD214(discharge papers)&an old pay slip from then, and that's it. I would have no clue how to obtain anymore of my service or medical records, so is this something I, or they, would be likely to do?
  2. CanteenCowboy

    CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

    Did you give up your American citizehship, as I always believed it was illegal for an American citizen to enlist in a foriegn Army?
  3. LancePrivateJones

    LancePrivateJones LE Book Reviewer

    I was under the impression that the only person that can diagnose a Personality Disorder is a psychiatrist.

    Did you see one and was this confirmed?

    Personality Disorder is the term for what used to be called Psychopathic Disorder by the way.
  4. I tried to join the US Coast Guard some moons ago only to be told that the US will not accept anyone who has served in a "foreign" power as a combatant - however if you are naturalised I dont forsee a problem - dont quote me though as I am not a fuckwit in HM gubbermint you looney!
  5. Anyways, why would you want to use inferior weaponry and join a load of wannabees unless you are one?
    checkout the **** thats in charge gubbermint wise ( who is a tax dodging millionaire trench-dodging wankbag)
  6. I think you might be getting confused with anti-social personality disorder.
  7. LancePrivateJones

    LancePrivateJones LE Book Reviewer

    I was under the impression that it was the same thing.

    Maybe Jarrod could clarify.
  8. The TA is better suited to those without a personality TBH
    • Like Like x 4
  9. There are quite a few disorders.
  10. It's not always the most reliable source of information, but these are from Personality disorders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  11. Aren't psychopaths now sociopaths? I thought personality disorders were lazy diagnoses that covered things that couldn't be diagnosed under any other disorder, many would previously have been diagnosed as schizoid or perhaps a bit odd.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. sociopath is mainly a yank term but both have been replaced with anti-social or dis-social (yank)
  13. No I'm a dual citizen I think due to relations with the US&UK(we're all incahoots with Israel in the New World Order or something right? ;) ) I think it used to be like that at a time as I knew some people in the States that had to give up their citizenships to become an American. It says something in our passports that we can loose it for serving in a foreign military, or taking an oath or allegiance to a foreign country(which I had to do to the Queen), but I think it has to do with what country you do it to.

    I can't remember who exactly it was I had to see, but I was sent to our unit DOC, and then some lady at the base hospital, (could have been a psychiatrist), who pretty much signed off on my reaction to the snoring conflicted with my job. I got an honorable discharge, but 'personality disorders' have been on a big rise in US discharges because pretty much it's handy for them to discharge us without us claiming medical compensation on VA benefits later. I've never seen anyone about it sense because I've never had any issues outside of the military, which I think I'm used to now. Probably would have gotten used to it then if they gave me more than a year!

    I noticed on the TA's online application they asked if I served in a foreign military and if I had my discharge papers, which is why I didn't know if they'd go that far to look into them or not. I suppose I could not even mention it, but the motto Army tatt on my arm wouldn't allow that. How would I bring it up then?

    Yea yea, the USMC are rockstars, but they're not "Soldiers," they're "Marines," as I'm sure they'll let you know! HA!