Personal Protection Weapons to be withdrawn

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Mar 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I dont know the full story & the is no link as yet,but on the BBC News over here they were reporting that the PPW carry permit issued to serving/ex Police,Army & Prison Officers is to be withdrawn.
    Unionist MP's are calling this a very rash desision,especially in light of recent events.
  2. Ask and you shall receive my son! Even from across the pond.

BBC Linky

Interesting as there is nothing to indicate that the weapons permits are being misused or abused. A flurry of ex/retired officers choosing shooting over divorce or gangs of ex-plod robbing banks could explain it but there are no such indications of this sort of thing. Why pull the permits if there is no problem? Disarming the law abiding does not make a lot of sense to me.
  3. In the conditions of a stable and enduring peace that now exist in NI, there is no need for the personal possession of such instruments, as the security forces no longer have enything to fear from terrorists.

4. My cold dead hands!
  5. If he wants to give me his number I will give him a bell and make a threat against him....
  6. Of course. I'm sorry I must have misread the news this week. I thought I had read something about soldiers and police being killed. Silly of me to get confused like that. Can't be age! Probably that single malt I have been consuming for my cough.
  7. fcuking stupid ruling.
  8. Very strange in light of recent events, that and as said above it isn't as if a holder of such a permit has recently gone on a killing spree.

9. Did I get that right?
  10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Might be a stupid question but if you're attacked while off duty ect & have to open fire,are you bound by any rules like the yellow card ect?I know you have the 'fire only aimed shots' ect but just curious.
  11. Technically yes - you must follow SOP's which include rules like the "yellow card", when drawing your pistol. However the terrorist rarely put himslf in a position where the target could engage and return fire in the manner the rules required. It is a little optimistic to expect a lone member of the Security Forces to defend himself with a pistol against often two or more terrorists spraying automatic fire in long bursts. Nevertheless in a few instances where effective return fire (from a PPW) was put down the assailant got quite a surprise! I carried a PPW for years and partially drew it only once, realising later that if the "attack" been real I hadn't a hope!
    The PPW was in other words, really a "comfort blanket".
  12. As I recall a PPW certainly saved the life of Sammy Brush, a UDR soldier, in 1981 when ambushed by gunmen. He returned fire and had a few good hits if I remember correctly.

Point to note: Quite a few PPW's were withdrawn a year before the disbandment of the R Irish (HS) and has been ongoing ever since. It is only now that a person has highlighted this to the press that it has become open knowledge.
  13. I am from NI and served there for 4 years in a non-irish unit 1996 - 2000. I wasn't allowed a PPW off-duty when I was in the army, never mind when I got out and think on this: What is politically more advantageous for the government - CIRA shooting me (headline "Terrorists kill civilian father of 3 young kids") or me popping someone trying to kill me (headline "undercover british soldier kills local man")

That's why I reckon I never got one then and that's why I reckon they're being edged out now. We're all still expendable remember!

Mind you, if someone could phone me up and threaten me I wouldn't mind getting one (except I'm now living sarf of the border dammit)