Personal Phones in Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by waiting, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wanted to get my boyfriend a present before he goes to Afghanistan, I was thinking a Sat phone would be a good idea.

Are you allowed to take personal phones with you on tour in Afghanistan? (don't want to spend money and find he's not allowed to take it!)

2. Something does not smell right here??????
  3. It's your breath. All that vein licking takes a toll.
  4. Go for it they only cost about a grand for the handset.
  5. And about £25 a minute for the calls.
  6. :lick: :D But i do not smell of garlic, much anyway :muhaha:
  7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

No, personal 'phones of any sort are not allowed on Op HERRICK. There are good and sensible reasons for this, mainly to do with casualty notification - but also, and nearly as important, in order to stop journo trolls from wheedling info out of Soldiers and their families.

He'll probably have reasonably good internet access, and welfare 'phones are (apart from in some of the FOBs) pretty easy to use as well. Whether he'll be able to call at a regualr time, or at one that's convenient for you, is another matter entirely :)

I'd suggest getting him a decent pen, so he can write to you using the free Bluey system. It's much nicer to get a letter - and you can keep them as well, my Missus keeps those I sent (probably for use in legal proceedings, knowing her).
  8. Looks like a journo fishing trip?
  9. Dammit, for future reference, all questions about what to do with your boyfriend need to be directed to the NAAFI bar.
  10. Just buy him a wii and a wii fit ,So that in his spare time he can exercise and when he gets home he will be super fit just for you . :)
  11. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Aaaaaaaaand we're done.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.