Personal knife

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by rjdthe1, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My little brother is going out to Afghan soon and i'd like to get him something, i was thinking about a combat knife. Are soldiers allowed to carry their own on tour?

thanks

2. A good quality multi tool is probably a better bet

3. Yes you need them. I had to knife 3 taliban on the last tour for spilling my pint.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Good point about the multi tool, but he's already got one of those. Just thinking a combat knife is that little bit better. Are they allowed to carry?

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

What about making whicker baskets to carry your gear in? You'll need a whittling knife for that. Forget getting the drinks in or throwing stuff around because Abdul didn't buy the round, there's more important thngs to consider.

As far as a combat knife is concerned, might I suggest the issue Bayonet is good for the job of sticking baddies? It's got as longer handle than most knives and goes bang!

6. The lack of good quality stewards and waiters is probably what accounts for the Raj lack of commitment to adding AFG to the dear old empire...

7. He'll get issued with a big 'knife' with a hole in the bottom that can conveniently be turned into a spear rather quickly.

8. I think you will find the blade of the knife could be fired from the hilt....either by means of a blank 9mil cartridge or some kind of powerfull spring?

Standing by to be corrected sah!

:)

9. Don't go down the fixed blade combat knife route - a folding knife is much handier. Get him a folding knife with a substantial 3-4" locking blade (but make sure that he knows that the current view in UK legal circles is that lock knives and blades over 3" are offensive weapons). One handed opening using studs or a hole in the blade is a good idea.

Knives are like optics - quality is invaluable and you have to be prepared to pay for it.

10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Stupid answer get him a Klingon close combat dagger like this:

[​IMG]

SENSIBLE answer because you asked politly.

the big stabby bayonet is more than he'll need on the big big stabby front, he's already got a multi tool. so why not buy him one of these:

Opinal

I've use one for years now, they are cheap but practical and the barrel lock means it wont fold in on your hand. Best of all they are high carbon steel so dead easy to keep sharp. worst of all they are high carbon steel so really, really don't appreciate being left wet.

11. Get him one of these....

[​IMG]

well ally.

12. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

What a fucking invisible knife? thats well ally mate but how do you find it in the dark?
    :D

13. Thanks, i really appreciate your input.

14. re combat blades this story is worth repeating

Woody buys expensive combat knife from US PX
    sgt be careful with that its fecking sharp opps to late stiches at field hospital follow :( sold it later to said nco who had it confiscated by the raf police

combat more likely to use a bayonet.
    out of combat more or less anything is more use than a big feck off knife and the RAF police will more than likely confiscate it to help stock there eBay shop.
    if you must buy him a knife buy as decent biggish folder as the sensible post
    behind suggested

15. there where 2. one fired the blade via a large spring. called a ballistic knife. generaly considered to be utterly useless, and only of interest to "mall ninjas"

the other one did fire a pistol bullet out of the back end. the chinese apparently then made a 4 shot version.

I would suggest a small to mid sized folding knife, one handed opening is useful, as is a pocket clip. reason being that it can be an absolute pain opening the blade on a multi-tool when you only want to do a realy quick job. spyderco do good ones, but my suggestion would be something like the boker subcom. nice small knife, very pocket sized, and very lightweight. reasonably priced too. a slightly larger model would be the m-type by the same company.