Personal Issue Kit - Iraq.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Pox_Dr, Dec 14, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

If rumours are correct I may be packing my bags soon.

Advice please from them in the know.

Any items of personal kit worth laying your hands on prior to sandy holidays, Jan to May time.

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Good Fleece, Softie, Goretex, usual stuff. A few treats, like decent tea or real coffee if you like that sort of thing. Get your Unit to organise the comfy boxes, put all your spare socks, pants, etc in there.

Also - lots of books - world shortage out here.

3. a pillow books dvds decent flip flops cos if you got big feet the efi wont be able to help black boot polish if taking pro boots cos again no one thought we would be wearing black boots

4. A mat for next to your pit - when it starts to get hot again there's sand everywhere. Decent sun screen and after sun, plenty of books and dvd's and loads of t-shirts and a decent camelbak - pretty much anything you think would make your deployment more comfortable. I also took my softie and fleece liner - bloody needed it some nights, it gets cold!!

5. Desert boots - at least try to get some. The black boot wearers suffer when it is not cold nights.
    Decent goggles (motorcross etc - quite cheap) for those cheeky sandstorms.

And any other kit we're supposed to be issued that we can't get!

6. should be issused goggles and camel bac . Medics were telling us not to use them round camp particular sheiba as unhygenic .mouth piece gets contaminated by flies ok on patrol though stick pipe into pocket . Infomation given to me while doing impersnation of the living dead in field hospitial so guess they were right :lol: .
    dont know where you going but some parts of iraq very marshy and some days very wet so both types boots needed . string and black &nasty
    seem to be difficult to come by probably lec got allof it .

7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

A neoprene mouthpiece cover is available from outdoor goods shops for Camelbak etc. - it fits round the tubing and just stretches over the mouthpiece. Simple and reasonably cheap. I used one on Saif Sareea and it worked very well.

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Does your job need goggles? I suppose you have to watch for the spalsh back!

9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Camelbaks are not worth buying- I found all they did was heat the water to boiling point and then get chucked under your cot- there is plenty of bottled stuff around plus drinks dispensers everywhere in the hospital. Plus it will only start getting really hot (110+) after May.

10. camelbac definatly not worth buying as issused as are goggles if going to basra palace fishing gear worth packing :D

11. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Luxury!

12. That spalsh is a terrible thing. Thought it was classified. How do you know about it?

Splash back from open line refuel is grim, tho.

So is that crappy dust in yer eyes.

13. go to sofmilitary for good priced gucci kit, does some top bollok gucci desert sh!te. Ha Ha enjoy the dust
    GRRRR, NEVER CONFUSED!

14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I was refering to the PD proffesion, which may be his hobby too! Quite unsavoury!

15. apologies for hijacking thread..BUT tour hero please seek help FAST!