Personal Clothing System (PCS) Quality (or lack of)

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by Bad CO, Feb 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

I've just extracted my new PCS Jacket from the washing machine to discover that the velcro is practically falling off and there are threads everywhere. I wouldn't mind but I've only had it approx 3 months so it can't have been washed that many times. I don't even tumble dry them!

Anyone else experiencing similar problems or am I just unlucky?

P.S Anyone know where you can change this stuff yet?

2. Did you get zips on your pockets? Because I didn't ! ;(
  3. Don't wash on 90 degree heat.
  4. Me neither!!
  5. I'm having the same problem, most of the velcro on mine has started to tear away on the chest pockets of the light weight jackets.
  6. Return it to the QMs and fill out an EFR.

A number of years ago I was collared by a wedge officer who complained to me that all the fuze instantaneous he has ever used never worked properly and when where we going to sort it.
    When I asked him if the had reported any of the failures, he said he hadn’t.

If you don’t report it nothing will get done.
  7. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

You mean this doesn't count?
    • Like Like x 3
  8. If its happening a lot then everyone needs to report it on stitch-up chits.
    Welcome to the world of having to rely on velcro- the pockets on the legs of RN number 4 uniform have always been velcro and needed to reinforce them every time I get a new pair.
  9. HHH

HHH LE

10. A bit of superglue will solve the problem untill you can exchange?
  11. Correct. In short, the manufacturer dropped the ball on the first batches of this kit with sub-standard workmanship and suppliers etc. Unfortunately "Defence cut-backs" (ie travel restrictions) meant that the necessary quality checks couldn't be carried out in the factory, and the problems didn't show up at receipt inspection, only once the kit was being worn. So saying, most of these problems are fixable through the application of a needle and thread although it is accepted that this is not a preferred procurement/maintenance route.

Please do submit the necessary failure reports through your QM as this will allow the project team to:

A. Beat up the supplier and get some money back

B. argue the case for more quality assurance visits to manufacturers.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Exchange PCS!!?? Getting an initial issue would be nice....:(
    • Like Like x 1
  13. If im right that means a trip to China doesnt it?? Dont you just wish they decided to award contracts to the "Jims Best Clothing Shack, Haiwai"!!!
  14. Apparently 120 pallets worth of PCS is coming in the next few months (overtime money :D )
  15. same problems (especialy on the light weight jacket

also trouser pocket mesh is ripping as well as stiching around zipped pocket. Velcro on smock starting to damage mesh liner on smock

Tried to exchange at QM and said about fault reporting as i had heard that these were comon problems and QM staff pretty much laughed and told me to get out!