persimmon homes yes or no?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by ShiftyJ2, Aug 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am looking for any experiences good or bad with persimmon homes. We are about to spend a shed load on a new build, but have already seen many negative reviews.

2. If you're are able to monitor the build, you can correct their errors as the build progresses. At least that way you'll have nobody else to blame for the shambles that they throw-up for the benefit of their customers.

3. What area are you looking at buying in?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

4. A few years ago they featured heavily on BBC Watchdog for poor build quality.
    I brought my current house as new build 12 years ago. I visited site every week with friends in the building trade and picked up the site forman with any issues. He hated the sight of me but so far no problems have come up.

5. As did my father, resulting in three rebuilds of the chimney stack, and the first-fix plumbing being done twice. The estate in Pickering is still standing so their foundation-work ought to be OK. Ish.

6. I'd rather live in a melon than a ******* persimmon....... much more room.

The last time decent houses were built in this country was the 70's, buy one cheap, when the first time buyer has popped his clogs, insulate to modern standards and upgrade, you'll have a solid house with a garden you could swing a giraffe in, to leave to your great- grandchildren

Newbuilds are built from tofu and quinoa, are more suitable as housing for chickens or rabbits and are unlikely to be still standing when your 30 year mortgage is paid off.

5 years down the line, you'll also find that the house is equipped with shite the builders threw in that the builders merchants couldn't give away, but off-loaded to the builders on the cheap........

• Like Like x 3
  7. It's not the Building Company per se, it's the quality of the sub contractors they employ. I bought a Taylor Wimpey house new, 2 years ago. The plumber was a cowboy, put his copper cuttings down the plug holes! Site Manager was told to get it sorted. The rest of the work was pretty good overall. The thing I hate about new builds is the back garden is one big mud pile. Landscaping it all from scratch. Not even finished yet as I had to take a Winter 'break' to desert climes in between.....

8. My other halfs brother is living in one of there houses for about 7 months now and he has sod all good to say about them
    Power tripping out for no apprent reason cracks in walls even non load bearing ones siting on his up stairs shiter the other day I could hear next door talking sod that for a laugh.

9. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Small gardens, paper-thin walls, poor finish (e.g. single coat of paint), insufficient parking, crammed in with identikit houses - pretty typical of new builds. Buy an older house and tart it up a bit.

• Like Like x 6
  10. I've just bought a new build and whilst house hunting, looked at Persimmons, Bloor and Charles Church.

The latter two of the three were streets ahead in terms of build quality, finish and astonishingly, price.

Unfortunately, Persimmons have just bought out Charles Church, so expect any future developments to be of the same standard.

11. I've got a new build townhouse over 4 floors (including a 30' long basement) and it's a fairly large, well built dwelling.

The only downside is having poor people entering my courtyard just to be nosey.

12. I looked at one before I bought my current home. The walls were so thin they flexed when leant on, the gaps between the frames and the doors were uneven, the kitchen was shoddy.

I ended up buying a 1935 build that, although it needed work, was solid.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Agree with all the comments re older houses made by smug twats like me that live in one (130 years old with 2ft 6 thick sandstone walls )
    However- If your budget and location demand that you need to buy a new build then all you can do is get a good survey and make sure you get a good guarantee backed by one of the building trade standards so if the company go bust you still get work done.
    Any building post 70's will be fairly crap quality wise .....

14. Unless it was built by a family-member, as the show-house on an exclusive plot of executive homes, and you paid trade-price for it.

15. Don't talk to me about 2ft 6" sandstone walls...... our cathedral in Durham has always got scaffolding up somewhere, permanently.

And the sodding builders couldn't care less....... they went bust 900years ago.

Bloody cowboys.

• Like Like x 6