PERSEC

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by stoatman, Sep 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On 7th July this year at 0720CET, I took the ferry from Hoek van Holland to Harwich. Behind me on the boat was a blonde bird in her early 20s, driving a metallic powder blue New Beetle. This had a tax-exempt tax disc in the window.

"Aha", thinks I, "She's Army and stationed in Boxheadland".

Now, most Brits and Dutchies won't know what that funny tax disc means, and you have to have it, so it's unavoidable. What was a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE giveaway however was the brown Manila envelope on the kit in the back, clearly facing backwards, addressed to "Capt XXXXXXX, such-and-such-a-unit". Since I was behind her in the queue for check-in, I saw this plainly.

Talk about giving the game away! It's almost as bad as the old US Forces Germany habit of using US-style numberplates, and then telling them to keep their tyres fully inflated to avoid looking non-German (I sh1t ye not - mrs stoat used to listen to this stuff on US forces radio when her old man was stationed over there).

If you were the blonde in that car, you were spotted, and if I were otherwise inclined I could have done nasty things to you.

2. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Have you ever read the extant DCI encouraging the wearing of uniform in public?

3. Wearing uniform in public is encouraged at all levels, it is recruitment positive and in line with the real threat assesment. To the trained eye a soldier looks like a soldier in or out of uniform so unless you are embarrassed about being in the forces get it on.

Might as well use your service rank as well if you can gain some advantage. I regularly fly up and down the UK in uniform and can confirm that where a better seat is available it is immediately offered, the amount of booze I have been offered has been almost embarrassing, just as well smock pockets are so big. ;-) You will also find all sorts of folks coming up to you for a chat or just to shake you hand, never had a bad word yet. Recently I found myself at a petrol station with a couple of busloads of muslim demonstrators who all wanted to thank us for what we were doing in Iraq!

4. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Is it available on line?

5. My unit has told me the exact opposite :?

6. Likewise. Wearing of uniform is still very frowned upon, especially by the more experienced soldiers who served through the height of IRA terrorism on the UK mainland. You wouldn't catch any of my lads wearing it in public, unless they were driving green fleet, of course.

So what's the DS solution then, and where do I find a copy?

7. And having details of your address and/or employee status on show is frowned on as PERSERC, let alone MILPERSEC.

Oh what fun someone could have after a trip on Harwich/Hook service.

Cruel ........ but fun.

8. The Navy now encourages uniform to be worn in public and you only have to go into any service station on a Friday afternoon to see this.

I think it was the day after September 11 2001, I was filling up my car with petrol when a Lt Cdr tootled past on his push bike in a flying suit with his cap on 8O. Obviously Bikini Amber meant fcuk all to him and the spineless cnuts on the main gate probably said nothing to him.

I think the 2 worst persec breaches I've encountered were in Southern Ireland. One was a baby pongo (not very switched on!!) on the Fishguard-Rosslare ferry. I was driving home on Xmas leave and he was a foot passenger with his BERGEN (8O) in full view of all the other foot passengers. The second was a para (I knew his sister very well, but not as much as I wanted!!!!) out on the p1ss in my hometown wearing a Para Reg t-shirt. WHAT A CNUT.

9. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

As has been stated above if you want to shoot someone in the military then just shoot the first bloke to walk out of a barracks or HQ. It is not rocket science. It was realised some time ago that the minor risk of someone wandering around tooled up just hoping to catch a glimse of a Tax Exempt Disc on a car or a Reggie tattoo on the arm was far outweighed by the positive impact of our service people been seen in public and as part of normal life. The IRA specifically targetted the military as a deliberate tactic. AQ and their ilk do not - everyone is a target.

As stated above, I would rather be proud to serve and be seen to be serving (in the appropriate circumstances) rather than sculk around admitting defeat.

10. yeah cheers for that, like you went over and told him that right ?! :oops:

11. I was in the Service Station at the M18-M180 junction last Friday afternoon & saw no evidence of this.......

TTFN

BFG

12. Whereas you had wisely left the bell bottoms under your hammock. Seems a little harsh - you see far worse I would say. Whilst "baby pongo"-es are quite recognisable, they would be without bergens too; plus, a lot of civilians buy the bergens in army surplus shops or wherever.

13. Lack of sideburns???

14. I take my pace stick to the supermarket. Only to hurry the Wife along you undersatnd. She is heavily pregnant and slows the operation down without a little encouragement.

15. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Nice one