Persec of McNab and co.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by martin7606, Aug 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As some of you are probaly aware, the persec (if you count having your name disclosed) of the members of the infamous Bravo 2 Zero patrol have been disclosed in public, for anyone to see.

I realise that the real names of these individuals isnt the best kept secret in Hereford, and "McNab" and "Ryan" have made good money out of experiences and no work in the media, so what point is it maintaining a pseudonym? However, details of other individuals, who have always shunned the limelight and have very good reasons for requiring anonymity and have seeked neither work nor money in the public arena (in fact quite the opposite), have had their details disclosed in a very public way.

Is this right? Or am I being over sensitive, it could be argued what harm is it knowing a few personal details about someone?

Any thoughts?
  2. Nope, couldn't find any in there at all.
  3. Just on a single point, the names “Ryan” and “McNab” are now brand names. Those with even a passing interest will recognise the brand and so will be more likely to buy the product, even if only a little (and that’s often all that's required). They wouldn’t be the first to continue with pen names once their real names become known.
  4. Slashers real name is Clarence
  5. I agrre with the points about RYAN and McNAb being brand names, it would be counter productive for them to work under any other name now. But the remaining members of the patrol have, in my opinion, good reason to keep themselves out of the limelight.
  6. I thought it was Cyril Clunge?

To OP,

Maybe they don't want their true identities revealed, y'know...

For their security?
  7. Yes mate, thats what I'm saying in my original post.
  8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I thought that the names had been out in the open for a while now
    I'm certain that Michael Asher had named them in his work about B20
    Also "Ryan" hasn't hidden so I don't know why he bothered changing his name any way when he is quite happy to work out in he open on Ultimate Force etc

Didn't one of the MODS on here once complian that people where refering to Andy Mcnab by his real name ?
  9. You're just being coy.

The trouble is that that while some ride on the backs of their ghostwriters and that is in some cases quite literally, the rest are left to wonder the error of their ways.

Dirk (not his real name) opened a cooked fish Sushi restaurant, Stig now runs the biggest gravel extraction business in Rutland, Nasty runs a round the clock protection business but he doesn't work evenings or weekends and Barry collects trolleys at Tescos as he suffers from PDWST (People Disappearing With Sodding Trolleys). He's not happy but at least he's employed.

Or did I just make it all up?
  10. Why not start by telling us who you are, where you live and why you are hiding behind a pseudonym, after all what harm is it knowing a few personal details about someone?

Didn't think so.
  11. Some have had a few problems:

He used to only talk at his convenience.
  12. I didn't read the hole of that link,it would make me flush :)
  13. Ed Macy is another case, He states in his book that he was told by MOD to do this, Phil Singelton ( probably the third man on the balcony) has been runnig a business in the USA for over 20 with a Website " Singelton International" without problem, don't see the point in so much Persec myself, And the amount of names given out by the MOD on the net makes the whole thing a bit pointless It's all just a PUBSTUNT
  14. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

He is also a family man and now a civilian and probably doesn't fancy a visit from a disgruntled chogie wanting his scalp for slotting his pals with an Apache 30mm.

I don't imagine he needed much prompting from the MOD he is a switched on cookie and imagine it was the first thing he insisted on before embarking on his book
  15. So why did the MOD publish hie real name on their site, The London Gazette, and Ewen Southerby Tailyor,s book " 3 Commando" I didnt get why he is called Mark Rawlings in " Apache Dawn" and why keep schtum about the fact that one of the pilots was female, don't make sense to me.

But I do remember a PIRA giving me a piece of paper with my name and address on it Belfast , very thought provoking