Persec discussion

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by oldcolt, Mar 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the large numbers of serving bods' names and pictures appearing regulalry in the local and National press and media generally; persec is nigh on impossible to maintain/ achieve for the average Tom. Discuss

2. Some things are better not discussed...

3. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Thousands of people tell everyone what they are doing on Twatter, Facebook, Bebo, etc. They also leave a massive foot print all over the internet and leave their bills, bank statements unshredded and open for all to read in their bins. They wonder why they get their identity stolen.

Discuss.

We live in the information world. It is not about trying to hide the fact you are in the Armed Forces anymore, the days of NI are over. It is a different threat now. Even the MoD has a DIN giving recommendations on how to use social networking sites.

It is how we mitigate not deny - this is the way forward now.

4. My view for wiw, is that if someone wants to find out something about you, they will. Most of the names on this site can be tracked down with a bit of detective work and some time purely using past posts and some intelligent guesswork/ lateral thinking. As you said, its deciding WHO to allow as your friend on Facebook whatever and your security settings that are more important than giving permission (as if its needed) for your name to appear in a BBC or local news paper report. If someone wants to target a squaddie, there are thousands of easy oportunities going begging everyday.

5. I bet you can't guess my surname?

6. What large numbers? Maybe one/two at most 3 per week and usually because they have been KIA. The rest are usually being decorated for bravery and should rightly be given the recognition. The last lot are typically chav scum that managed to get into the forces and have been caught being naughty whilst out on the razz.

So for your 'average tom' then persec is just that personal security. fcek all to 'discuss'....

7. mysteron

The point is - how is that any different from the 70's or 80's? Simply put, it isn't. It is just that technology has made it quicker and more accessible as such we have do things a little differently and change our behaviours.

8. But the OP asked about press and media in particular. Social networks are a different beast and should be treated as such.

9. JONES ?

10. mysteron

I refer the honourable gentleman to my second post on this topic.

11. duly noted and agreed.

12. As an example oldcolt, just how many times in the last, say, 5 years, have you been mentioned in the local/ national press/Corps mag, soldier mag, soldier of fortune etc?

13. Probably on two or three occasions now, as have a number of other guys in my unit having gone to, being out in or returning from Afghan and Iraq.