PERSEC & Data protection Q ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by 12minden, Jun 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just moved to a new area after joining CIVDIV. I think a new friend (civvy who was attached to MOD) has called in a favour off a serving very senior officer (above Col) and been given access to details of my career. He has hinted at details of my career that I haven't mentioned and nobody in this area would be privvy to.

Is this legal and is there anyway I can find out 100% as not a happy bunny about it for obvious PERSEC reasons ?

2. Is he a Freemason by any chance?

3. That's spooky, he is yep ! Well the civvy yes 100%, can't comment on the officer as not my Corps or known to me.

4. I am hoping that actionday made that comment as a joke. Since it should have no bearing.

I imagine that 12minden is well upset bout this potential breach of persec and i reckon you should front the guy up and aks where he got the info from. if you know where it came from (that is suggested from your post) then bubble the b^^tard.

5. I am sure it wasn't meant as a dig but was correct, "meat not crystal" springs to mind. Up here the masons are quite powerful, on a par with the church. No match for a good provo Sgt tho !

The chap is a mate, well mate as in civvy aquaintance, not propper army mate. It still doesn't alter the fact tho. I am 99% that it came from his serving friend. Don't want the gent to loose his job but really not on is it ?

6. The Data Protection Act 1998

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/Acts1998/ukpga_19980029_en_1

7. Ref the data protection act; section 1 yes, section2 NO to all of them. It was just a mate calling in a favour and there is no crime or lawful reason why he should have disclosed my records. No way would I have given my consent.

Debating if it's worth saying ask the ********* (thats rank not swear word) if he knows what PERSEC is, just to see what the reaction is ???

8. Not on mate whether the information came about by masonic link or otherwise.

9. If I was after marrying his daughter then maybe understandable.

How easy is it for this chap to pull my records and what would he be able to see ? Never been a clerk so have no idea on how how system works.

10. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

no idea whether the jurisdiction is the same over there - but you shouldn't do it in a 'threatening way'
    otherwise you're the one in trouble after all

there is a good reason why lady justice is blind you know ...

11. Nah I'll do it in a discreet and none threatening way. Been a long time since I saw the inside of cell and no intention of returning.

12. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

sorry didn't mean to domineer over you ... was only meant to be an advice :)

13. No dramas, zero alpha does the domineering this end, it was hoisted on board as friendly advice. Always worth a reminder that we have to behave differently out here on civvy strasse, wee chats behind the gun shed etc.

14. Seconded.