Permission to get married letter??

Discussion in 'Military Discipline' started by commzmeanzbombz, Jul 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning all,

One of my troop is getting married in uniform in November and like a good lad wants to do everything properly, including writing the letter to the BC requesting permission to get married.

Now weve looked in JSP 101, we have trawled the intranet and searched everywhere possible but to no avail.

Does anyone have a draft letter or know where we can find one as I am a writing mong, my troop are writing mongs and were all pretty hopeless!

Cheers All,

2. Dear Boss,

Can I get married on the 1st of November 2011 to my wench of a girlfriend wot I have been engaged to for 5 years? You will of course be invited to the wedding as long as you give me permission.

Best regards,
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

You forgot a bit.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Firstly, there is no requirement to ask permission of anyone to get married unless the person wishing to marry is under 18 years of age.

Second, if your soldier thinks he / she is mature enough to marry then surely they should be able to come up with a suitable formula for themselves. Of course there is nothing wrong with running it passed someone else for spelling etc.

If all else fails ask the Adjutant or Chief Clerk (whatever they are called these days). I expect he can find a previous example in the files.
  5. Not sure that would cut it fellas but 10 points for effort!

Anyone else got anything?
  6. Cheers TM, I know its not a requirement nowadays but it is deemed polite or so I believe, anyway he wants to do it so im not going to stop him and would rather get an accurate letter rather than something we knock up. With the standard of young soldiers knocking about its good to see a young lad who wants to do things properly.

At the end of the day a nice letter from his BC granting him permission and wishing him all the best might be a nice touch and something to keep.

I will keep digging,

7. BC Boss Cat
    Address block
    26th July 2011
    Blah Blah

Dear Sir,

I request permission from you to marry my fiance on the 1st of November 2011. I have been engaged to her for the last five years and would now like to honour my commitment to her, which will in no way affect my commitment and obligations to my service in the military.

I would also request permission from you to allow me to marry in number ones, have an honour guard from the unit and possibly a 21 gun salute.

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Cpl Toms
  8. As there is no actual requirement to obtain permission but the letter is being written for the sake of tradition and politesse, I would suggest using the "Sir I have the honour to" format and include a request for permission to wear uniform on the day (if applicable). There might be no harm in also mentioning the intention to live in service family accommodation, if applicable. Just my thoughts.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Dear Sir,

i have managed to get your daughter up the spout. We need to get married so we get a free house and stuff. I am getting fed up with her being passed round the block as well.

Plse say yea!

A Kandak
    • Like Like x 5
  10. You forgot that Bdr Toms should ask for permission to wear one rank up :wink:
  11. Could also run it past someone to check for spelling etc :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Agreed.

There is however a requirement to notify your unit authorities in a change of marital status, for mainly administrative reasons.

If you are not comfortable in asking permission just write in the suggested format informing your CO that you will be getting married etc. Not worth falling on your sword if the CO goes all playground on you and ruins what should be a happy time, so make your own judgement.
  13. The letter should be addressed to the CO not the BC (taking it that BC is Battery Commander), but then given to his OC (BC) to take through the CoC.

IIRC the common practice is for people to word it that you have the honour to inform him, as opposed to request his permission.

But the latter is more traditional. It is also traditional to invite the CO to the wedding, however it is quite acceptable for him to have been briefed so that he knows to politely decline the offer.
  14. I wrote a Formal Letter to my CO way back when. JSP101 no longer recognises such a thing, sadly.

Start with:
    I have the honour to inform you that.... and end with

I have the honour to be,
    Your obedient Servant
  15. I just toodled off and got married. Couple of mates there but a small occasion. No 2's and a beret. I didn't even put my medals up. And, I didn't ask anybodies permission. Big mistake though. It was the reason I passed up on a two year posting to Hong Kong and then, chose to leave the mob and 6 years later, we split up and she went back to America. C'est la vie. :)