Permanent deployments

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Deanorecruit, Jun 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I amawaiting asdc selection and I have been thinking into joining the Duke Of Lanc 2nd battalion. Anyway Ive learned that they will be "permanently" deployed to Cyprus. Yet my recruitment officer told me it would only be for four years and they would still be on stand by for Iraq/Afghanistan.

I want to join the Infantry to get involved in the action not to go on deployment to Cyprus. Does anyone know how permanent these deployments are? And is my recruitment officer pulling the wool over my eyes about being possibly deployed in a warzone and if not how likely would it be?

The only other regiment local to me is The Fusileers but my recruitment officer told me they have just been to iraq and wont be going back for a long while. But then again he is from The Duke of Lancs (2nd)!!!
  2. I was in Episkopi, Cyprus for 3 years and whilst I was there I saw 3 Infantry Battalions come and go. I think 2 years is the norm.
  3. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

Both UK Inf units based in Cyprus are the theater reserve troops for both Afghanistan and Iraq so you could be like both current units, deploying to both areas. I would say that the fellas doing it for the last few years have done a fantastic job because theyre always acclimatised.

Good blokes