Permanent 50mph limit around Newport

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm kind of stuck.
I tend to shop locally though so no need to enter the Cursed Earth that is Zooport other than when in work. Although if I want to travel anywhere nice such as Cornwall, I have to negotiate numerous scamera vans and average speed limit areas before I get to the M4 at Tredegar Park. As soon as I'm over the bridge I can breathe easy.
Try turning right on the M4 and visit the Cardigan Bay Area. This is my localish local
It’s great sat in there with brilliant views over Cardigan Bay.
Roll on when we can all go out again.
D417F1E8-949C-4E6A-AB80-833F92B414E2.jpeg

It is at the end of the last century when I regularly met with people from the Dept of Transport to discuss the road network. At the time several of the DTp/ HA (whatever they were called then) expressed a desire to make the maximum speed limit on all non-motorway roads 50 mph. The usual reasons were cited - less pollution and less accidents.

There is some merit in their argument as you really don't save much time on most journeys if you go like hell or if you drive within the law. Try it if you don't believe me.
When much of the M6 was set st 50 mph due to the smart motorway work, I found it made virtually no difference on journeys to Manchester but I got up to 10 mpg more.

When much of the M6 was set st 50 mph due to the smart motorway work, I found it made virtually no difference on journeys to Manchester but I got up to 10 mpg more.

I am not really in favour of restrictions. There is enough government control in our lives but going fast on the roads to cut journey times is mostly perception over reality.

Speed limits to reduce polution caused by a motorway next to a steelworks, same as Port Talbot. Hypocrites.
There is a similar ‘Air quality’ zone on the M1 around Sheffield, although it is set at a more reasonable 60mph.
I found to my cost that travelling at 75mph in that zone results in a invitation to take part in a Motorway Speed Awareness Course at £85 a pop. :-x
Fair enough, it’s a fair cop and all that, as I was behind the wheel, but don’t tell me it’s about improving air quality around Sheffield, when all you can see for miles around are Factory Chimneys billowing out smoke.

I'm in Newport two or three times a week, thanks for the warning.

There are warnings in place already.

BFO signs at the side of the road with a number on them.

I usually find them difficult to spot, myself, what with being over the drink drive limit, eating a pasty and trying to compose a text whilst undertaking.

And sending posts on t'interweb forums - did you go over a speed bump?

It is at the end of the last century when I regularly met with people from the Dept of Transport to discuss the road network. At the time several of the DTp/ HA (whatever they were called then) expressed a desire to make the maximum speed limit on all non-motorway roads 50 mph. The usual reasons were cited - less pollution and less accidents.

There is some merit in their argument as you really don't save much time on most journeys if you go like hell or if you drive within the law. Try it if you don't believe me.
No matter how much boring, hand-wringing melts wish it were the case, no amount of teary lying will change the laws of physics and speed-distance-time.

Lowering the speed limit makes your journeys take longer. FACT.

I usually find them difficult to spot, myself, what with being over the drink drive limit, eating a pasty and trying to compose a text whilst undertaking.
So you're the twat that mounted the pavement to beat me to the lights last Thursday?
Did you know your Citroen 2CV has a near side brake light out?

Speed limits to reduce polution caused by a motorway next to a steelworks, same as Port Talbot. Hypocrites.
Always bear in mind the reduced speed limit at Port Talbot allows you to enjoy the view of the steelworks.

At night it looks like the opening scene of Bladerunner. That's futuristic that is.

No matter how much boring, hand-wringing melts wish it were the case, no amount of teary lying will change the laws of physics and speed-distance-time.

Lowering the speed limit makes your journeys take longer. FACT.

You probably own a BMW.

You were beaten to the lights by a 2CV?

What a fanny.
I was in a 44 ton artic, I had to slow down because the lights were about to change and some jaundiced looking div with red hair was screaming at an old fella on his motability scooter who had burned him off at the previous lights.

I was in a 44 ton artic, I had to slow down because the lights were about to change and some jaundiced looking div with red hair was screaming at an old fella on his motability scooter who had burned him off at the previous lights.

I always like to get in front of an artic on the approach to an uphill gradient, bang on an offside indicator and slow right down.

When the wagon is at walking pace, cancel the indicator and floor it, leaving the wretched prostitute murderer changing gear until Christmas.

There is a similar ‘Air quality’ zone on the M1 around Sheffield, although it is set at a more reasonable 60mph.
I found to my cost that travelling at 75mph in that zone results in a invitation to take part in a Motorway Speed Awareness Course at £85 a pop. :-x
Fair enough, it’s a fair cop and all that, as I was behind the wheel, but don’t tell me it’s about improving air quality around Sheffield, when all you can see for miles around are Factory Chimneys billowing out smoke.
Who is it easier to hit?
The motorist who can slow down to 60 and is highly unlikely to challenge it in court?
The polluting firms who can afford lawyers and will bleat about moving their business elsewhere, (India for example), if they have to install expensive pollution control devices to their processes?

Can't the tart who is giving you a blowjob at the time hold the pasty and/or write the text for you?

Who is it easier to hit?
The motorist who can slow down to 60 and is highly unlikely to challenge it in court?
The polluting firms who can afford lawyers and will bleat about moving their business elsewhere, (India for example), if they have to install expensive pollution control devices to their processes?
TATA steel.. Both Indian owned, own Port Talbot and whats left of Llanwern steelworks..

TATA steel.. Both Indian owned, own Port Talbot and whats left of Llanwern steelworks..
The surface of the M4 is getting a bit turdy you say? Well it is a street in the broadest sense of the word I suppose...
Speed limit introduced to reduce skid risk then.

Latest Threads